PDA

View Full Version : FREE SkyDemon and NATS pre-flight planning tool for GA safety

NATS Infringements
8th Apr 2011, 16:05
SkyDemon, an innovative UK software company and NATS, the UK’s leading air traffic services provider, today announce the launch of SkyDemon Light, a free pre-flight planning tool to assist pilots in safely and easily planning their Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight in and around busy airspace and NOTAM activity.
SkyDemon was chosen by NATS as a launch partner based on the company’s proven experience developing VFR software tools and technology, and a shared desire for UK pilots to have access to a simple, free interface for pre-flight planning.

The tool, which can be found at www.SkyDemonLight.com (http://www.skydemonlight.com) is the first of its kind, and the first product to be awarded NATS’ compliance mark for pre-flight planning. This mark indicates that the product complies with functionality set out by NATS to enhance GA flight safety:
• Simple user interface
• Free at point of use
• Graphical NOTAM depiction
• Generates alerts when a planned route interacts with controlled or restricted airspace
• Generates basic Pilot’s Log
• Comprehensive VFR database

“Pre-flight planning is one of the most important steps to safe GA flight. The NATS compliance mark indicates our belief that pre-flight planning tools such as SkyDemon Light will deliver concrete safety benefits by making pre-flight planning simple, free to access and visually engaging.” said Jonathan Smith, NATS Infringement Lead. “I would encourage all pilots to do pre-flight briefing, and SkyDemon Light makes it easier than ever to take this crucial safety precaution.”

SkyDemon Light’s intuitive interface makes choosing a route as simple as a few clicks on the rich VFR chart. Interaction with controlled airspace and hazardous areas is clearly indicated and, when required, a route can be easily dragged to avoid confliction or complex airspace.

Recognizing the clear desire among the GA community for graphical NOTAM depictions, SkyDemon Light features NOTAM information drawn from the same European Aeronautical Information System Database that AIS uses, clearly displayed on the chart. This information is supported by a comprehensive, textual Narrow Route Brief containing all the relevant NOTAM information for a planned route. Routes can be saved and reloaded, and used in other software packages in GPX format.

“SkyDemon Light offers a free, single source for pre-flight briefing information that is easy to interpret and intuitive to use. Our aim is to help pilots prepare for their flight by keeping in mind potential hazards while still on the ground. This will help reduce airspace infringements while enhancing the safety and the enjoyment of flying.” Said Tim Dawson, SkyDemon. “NATS has awarded SkyDemon Light a compliance mark to distinguish its functionality. SkyDemon are extremely proud to display this mark and will continue to serve GA by developing technology solutions to solve the problems pilots face.”

alphaalpha
8th Apr 2011, 17:14
SEE THE SOFTWARE DEMO AT THE DUXFORD SAFETY DAY 16th APRIL

Jonathan has just confirmed that NATS will be showing this great piece of internet software at the Duxford Safety Bonus Day on 16th April.

Pilots will be welcome to visit Duxford on 16th April to see it (and the other Safety Day sessions). Fly in or drive in, but you must pre-book 01223 833376.

I had a look at the beta software. Personally, I think it's excellent -- very simple and very effective. Well done NATS. Well done SkyDemon.

Alan.

PompeyPaul
9th Apr 2011, 07:18
I only just spent £100+ pounds on sky demon now it's being given away for free?!?! Not happy :mad:

kevkdg
9th Apr 2011, 10:55
Can you export the route to a GPS, say one running memory map?

B4aeros
9th Apr 2011, 11:18
Can you export the route to a GPS, say one running memory map?Yes. Your route is saved as a gpx file which can be imported into Memory Map.

Whiskey Bravo
9th Apr 2011, 15:47
There is quite a difference between the full version and this. Met, auto wind vectors, airfield plates, completeness of plog, ability to preconfigure different aircraft and of course the ability to export to GPS. I feel it confirms that SkyDemon was the right planning tool to fork out on and with NATS backing it is likely to ensure data accuracy.

Give the guys a break, it is excellent that a small UK company has built something so complete and smart of NATS to make use of it. Cutting infringements is surely a benefit to everyone in GA to avoid further policing of Air Space. Look at your 100 quid as a donation towards thats.

Here, here for the SkyDemon team.

blueandwhite
10th Apr 2011, 19:22
I have the full version of SkyDemon.

I think it is simple one of the best thought out pices of software I have ever seen.

It will be interesting to see how the free version compares. I bet it will still be very good.

Wibblemonster
10th Apr 2011, 22:14
Is sky demon a worthwhile purchase then or should I just stick with the NATS gps box to start with?

I want to get a gps but only use it as a back up for DR - also I would guess that SD doesn't have plates for fields so I will still need a pooleys guide?

Cheers

flybymike
10th Apr 2011, 23:35
I want to get a gps but only use it as a back up for DR

Recommend you use GPS for primary and DR for back up....

stevelup
11th Apr 2011, 07:55
I only just spent £100+ pounds on sky demon now it's being given away for free?!?! Not happy

Don't worry - the functionality of the free version doesn't even scratch the surface of what the full version is capable of.

CruiseAttitude
11th Apr 2011, 12:57
Is sky demon a worthwhile purchase then or should I just stick with the NATS gps box to start with?

Absolutely! You can download a 30 day trial of the full version from their website.

also I would guess that SD doesn't have plates for fields so I will still need a pooleys guide

SkyDemon does have plates for fields, also the PLOG that the full version generates is much more detailed and automatically includes needed frequencies, navaids and idents etc. Also, winds aloft, TAFS and METARS enroute are downloaded automatically.

In terms of a GPS, I've chosen to go with SkyDemon, I've been using it since the first release.

I know the NATS Aware box is popular too and also works very well, but it depends what you prefer. SkyDemon uses vector based mapping which is always up to date. The NATS Aware box uses a raster version of the paper chart which is updated annually, however the airspace data which drives the warnings is updated frequently.

You can buy a Windows CE GPS navigator or PDA and install SkyDemon on that or even switch the PC version to GPS mode. I'd download the trial version and see what you think. When you have installed it on your PC, start the GPS simulator, that will replicate how SkyDemon will work inflight. Do this before you make a decision on what to go for.

There is loads of info on the SkyDemon forum.

malcolmf
11th Apr 2011, 13:11
I have used Skydemon in anger (on the aircraft) many times now and it's fantastic.
I run it on an Archos 9 tablet PC with a bluetooth GPS that sits on the coaming. I normally produce a plog at home and then update the data at the airfield using my mobile tethered to the tablet, or the airfield WiFi. I do have a power adapter for use in the aircraft, but the battery life is around 4 hours, so it's fine for short trips.
The program stores the flight so you can review it afterwards and prepare your defence for the CAA!
(I still draw a line on the chart though with headings/tracks etc.)

CruiseAttitude
11th Apr 2011, 14:01
Hi Malcolm, that Archos 9 tablet PC looks great and 4hrs is a good battery life! do you have a special mount for it?

HighFlyer75
11th Apr 2011, 14:03
Don't forget of course that the full version of SkyDemon also gives you charts for most of Europe and the USA (and South Africa is under development). If you only ever fly in the UK then I guess this won't matter to you but I have used SkyDemon to plan flights in Ireland, Sweden, Finland, USA and the UK and it has been invaluable. Add to that the additional features as already mentioned and the full version of SkyDemon is some of the best money I have spent on flying.

Regarding SkyDemon Light, what an excellent idea. Well done to all involved. I am currently using SkyVector to assist in planning of flights around the Bahamas and it has been a great help but it doesn't come close to what SkyDemon Light is offering.

malcolmf
11th Apr 2011, 16:55
do you have a special mount for it?
No, it just sits on my clipboard on my knee. There are some available though,
ARCHOS 9 TABLET PC ACCESSORIES WINDSCREEN CAR KIT MOUNT | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCHOS-9-TABLET-PC-ACCESSORIES-WINDSCREEN-CAR-KIT-MOUNT-/350310918135)

Wibblemonster
11th Apr 2011, 17:47
Wow! Thanks for the information, I will download the trial version & see what's what. The thing that was putting me off was the fact the charts look very little like the 250mil charts I use, but I guess I would still have the chart in my lap & use gps - map - ground to navigate.

What's the battery life like on the SD unit they sell & is it better to buy that over a different tablet like the archos? Shame it won't run on my iPad :(

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I make the right purchase. :ok:

PompeyPaul
11th Apr 2011, 18:11
Don't forget of course that the full version of SkyDemon also gives you charts for most of Europe and the USA (and South Africa is under development). If you only ever fly in the UK then I guess this won't matter to you but I have used SkyDemon to plan flights in Ireland, Sweden, Finland, USA and the UK and it has been invaluable
That does make me feel happier! :)

It is great to plot your route, go to the airfield and then print the plog out almost immediately with latest wx.

I wonder if I'm the only person that doesn't 100% trust the auto weather / notam download ? I still like to check them by hand and then manually input weather.

It does make arrival at club house to departure take around 20mins, with the a check being the vast majority of that.

Superpilot
11th Apr 2011, 20:44
Wow, at last a step in the right direction. Thought I'd never see the day NATS! well done :D