PDA

View Full Version : Oostende

novoport
8th Apr 2011, 12:57
Can anyone suggest a good VFR route for DVR - EBOS? Options seem to be to go direct and cross a lot of water, or to take the short crossing to Cap-Gris-Nez and then follow the coast via a lot of restricted areas (e.g. around Koksijde).

Are there likely to be any issues getting clearance to transit the Koksijde zone? (This would be at the weekend)

neilgeddes
8th Apr 2011, 13:10
My experience is that if Koksijde is active they won't let you through. I'd suggest phoning Ostend ATC for their advice for the date in mind. If you route via KONAN you won't need to talk to France however this is more water than going around the coastline. Either way, it's a great trip to do!

proudprivate
8th Apr 2011, 13:36
I would recommend:

DVR heading 095 for 24 nm to KONAN
KONAN heading 095 for 25 nm to KOK

If high enough, the time that you are not within gliding distance of a coast is limited to around 15 minutes. You might want to check your insurance papers (aircraft and/or personal accident and/or passenger liability) how they feel about this. Don't forget the life jackets.

Check NOTAMs to make sure, but usually EBFN will not be active during the week-end. Sometimes the military have some joint activity (paradrops / aerobatics / etc...) with the French at some of the smaller fields across the border, but Ostend Approach would advise.

You can (after registration) get all the info you need at
Belgocontrol - Operational (http://www.belgocontrol.be/belgoweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Operational)

EBOS is +/- walking distance (1-1.5 km) from the beach. Enjoy !

BackPacker
8th Apr 2011, 15:43
but usually EBFN will not be active during the week-end.

I've been there a few times and even though the CTR, according to the charts, goes all the way to FL55, it was only active to 3500 when I was there. So I was able to fly overhead KOK to intercept the radial to KONAN at 4500'. With permission of Ostende Approach of course.

Molesworth 1
8th Apr 2011, 16:04
I flew the route via KONAN last summer from Stapleford. Crossed Manston at 5000 feet but forced to descend to below 2000 feet just after KONAN. Along the Belgium coast you are in controlled airspace - something which one doesn't have much experience of in the UK.

At Oostende everyone is very helpful - they don't have much else to do! We caught the bus and then the train the Brugge. A really great trip!

Returning took a lot longer due to a strong headwind - would have done a 180 degree turn in case of engine failure. :cool:

Fuji Abound
8th Apr 2011, 22:00
For goodness sake if you are worried about keeping the sea crossing as short as possible (which makes sense) coast out direct to Calais from Dover and either plan to route far enough offshore or inshore to avoid the danger area east of Calais and Kok. Chances are you will get a clearance through Kok class D and the danger area is easy enough to avoid. It really isnt difficult.

PompeyPaul
9th Apr 2011, 07:15
I just went direct, there's lots of shipping in the channel to ditch near. The Irish sea on the other hand, looked very cold and sparse......

novoport
10th Apr 2011, 17:20
We routed via DVR-KONAN-KOK. We crossed the channel at FL55 and as Koksijde military was not active, we were able to get clearance from Oostende approach to go via KOK. Thereafter we routed along the coast for a straight-in approach to RWY 08.

Oostende was very helpful and the whole trip was very easy.

The operation at Oostende is efficient and friendly, they met us on the taxiway with the 'follow-me' van and took us to the parking and on to Customs. Then it was a 25m taxi ride to Brugges.

Thoroughly recommended.

Jan Olieslagers
10th Apr 2011, 18:24
Do check the notam's, there's a couple of military training areas round there. They're only rarely activated in weekends, but one never knows.