PDA

View Full Version : Single shaft dual mag aircraft on EASA-reg

IO540
8th Apr 2011, 11:01
TCM stopped making the D6LN-3000 (e.g. P/N 10-682560-11) magneto over a year ago.

Most of the parts are PMAd, except for one little spring :)

If an overhaul is mandatory under your State of Registry (it is not an on N-reg, but probably is under EASA) then there are just a few firms around the world which have stocks of all the parts.

A repair (defined as anything short of an overhaul) is the practical option but what are people going to do on EASA aircraft? You are going to be grounded.

There is also a practical side to this. The single shaft mag is extremely reliable but remains probably the weakest link on this type of engine, so it is best to not "play" with it. If I was having a "repair" done I would still insist on the full overhaul process being done i.e. NDT on the casings, to pick up any cracks in the mounting flanges.

Personally I am OK because the day I heard about this I purchased a spare mag from the USA. Even that was hard to find because, unsuprisingly, anybody who had one in stock was on the case before me, but for $2.5k and pulling some contacts I got sorted. I am now OK for 3-4 years because I have just overhauled my original one.

Something to keep a very close eye on...