PDA

View Full Version : Fuel (AVGAS) Transportation

Irish_Flyr
5th Apr 2011, 11:41
Hi

Having sourced Avgas which is significantly cheaper than based airfield does anyone have any experience transporting the stuff by road? I assume there are specific guidelines to be followed.
I am also looking into the possibility of aquiring a browser to help. Again, anything specific in this regard?

Number crunching tells me I can expect to save over 8k pa. I am in the UK/NI.

IF

WelshHopper
5th Apr 2011, 12:35
To my knowledge (which is limited to be honest) there is a LOT of law here, a good place to start would be a solicitors office, with a brief reading of The Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road Regulations 1996 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2095/contents/made) beforehand.

Good luck

WH :ok:

Jan Olieslagers
5th Apr 2011, 12:42
I can't speak for the legal aspect in your country, but I have seen lots of people bringing petrol to the aerodrome in plastic or metal jerrycans of 10-20 litres, and only once seen a kind of bowser (sic!) and that at a particularly rural place.

S-Works
5th Apr 2011, 13:19
You are permitted a single container of 20l in a vehicle. If you wish to tow a bowser then it has to be an approved type and I believe you have to have a special qualification. As I understand it a seriously expensive and PITA excercise.

mountain-goat
5th Apr 2011, 14:03
Given the absolute saving - what about using a haulage company licensed to transport it if the personal regs are unrealistic?

:ok:MG

Vizsla
5th Apr 2011, 14:10
You can rent bowsers to transport the fuel if you have the right HGV licence or look at these Site Bowsers - UK Bunded Fuel Tanks (http://www.ukbundedfueltanks.co.uk/index.php?fueltank=site-bowsers&gclid=CLGP6orGhagCFc1jfAod0H4FtA)

Fly-by-Wife
5th Apr 2011, 18:08
In addition to transportation regulations, you will presumably need to store it - see the regulations here: The Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) (England) Regulations 2001 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/2954/contents/made)

FBW

west lakes
5th Apr 2011, 18:50
The rules may be different for avgas, but we transport up to 999l of diesel on the road without any additional certification in bunded trailers.

Apparently 1000l is the upper limit

stevfire2
5th Apr 2011, 19:51
dirrerent flashpoint, so different regs. vastly complicated area, even if you got those sorted i doubt if you could legally get insurance on the road for avgas.( and just insuring it as a "trailer" doesnt count!!):=

Maoraigh1
5th Apr 2011, 21:25
Latest Safety Sense booklet says "Metal Can" but doesn't mention volume. I thought the previous version said 200l, but might be "subject to local regulations".
I regularly take 3x20 cans in my car. (and on a trolly through Airport Security. EN228 ron95 is not a dangerous chemical like dihydrogen monoxide:E)

S-Works
5th Apr 2011, 21:28
Safety sense is nothing to do with the road traffic act.......

The road traffic act restricts you massively to what can be transported in a vehicle. 200l is way out of the ballpark.....

bingofuel
5th Apr 2011, 21:55
Believe it or not you can actually carry up to 333 litres in approved containers with minimal driver ADR training and a small fire extinguisher.

If I recall the regs are Carriage of goods and the ADR regs.

However the regs regarding storage once at a place of work or private building are more restrictive

Maoraigh1
6th Apr 2011, 21:06
Is the Road Traffic Act volume not a restriction on fuel for the vehicle? The 200 l mentioned in the CAA Mogas booklet "must be for your own use. You cannot ask an employee to carry it".
Maybe chainsaw and grasscutter guys know current the situation. I've certainly seen guys filling a drum in a landrover at a filling station. (Not in a city)
Our airfield provides flamable liquid storage cabinets for any fuel for refilling after the flight. They take 2 X 20 l cans each. And I fill up on the way to the airport.

A and C
6th Apr 2011, 21:35
We have looked into transporting Avgas by road, you can transport up to 1000 Lts in a bunded tank (I would think this is likely to be a trailer) if you take a training course.This course you simply have to attend.

If the quantity is over 1000 Lts the driver has to go on a training course that is quite extensive (5 days I think), this course has an exam at the end and the driver would have to pass this exam before he/she can transport Avgas.

Danscowpie
6th Apr 2011, 22:12
But Avgas stores a long time without issue.

No it doesn't.
Six months is the maximum recommended storage time, after which it will begin to degrade and there's no way unqualified folk without the right equipment would be able to test it's integrity.

The first time you'll know is when the engine starts coughing, hopefully you'll still be on the ground when that happens.:sad: