PDA

View Full Version : Medical restrictions, insurance and group flying.

vfrrider481
5th Apr 2011, 09:10
Hi all, looking for some advice from those who may have had dealings with the following situation.

I currently hold a CPL with multi engine IR and was applying for flying jobs until a medical issue suspended my flying medical. There is a strong probability that the most I will achieve in future is an NPPL with restricted medical allowing solo flight or flight with a safety pilot only due to my medical condition.

Simply how might this affect my ability to join a group?

How might this affect the insurance for the aircraft, and would the potential increase in premiums deter groups from taking me under their wing?

What restrictions if any might the insurance companies put on me?

Are there any groups who have restricted pilots as part of their membership?

Hypothetically as a group member would you be happy with someone joining who would seek to fly primarily with other group members so that the maximum enjoyment can be obtained with the minimum risk?

Just some thoughts for which I would be particularly grateful for any opinions or preferable experiences of anyone in similar circumstances. having spent tens of thousands of pounds going down the CPL route, it might just be the most expensive route to an NPPL yet recorded!

Thanks,
VFR

Rugbyears
5th Apr 2011, 09:31
Very sorry to hear of your difficult scenario. I'm unable assist with your question but certainly wish you the very best of luck.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Apr 2011, 09:36
I've not been in your position, however have been in quite a few syndicates. My experience is that syndicates are just happy to have experienced pilots who will fly the aeroplane a lot, so long as the insurers are happy. I don't think that insurers are that concerned about medical issues, so long as you stick within the imposed limits - although you might find it pushes the premiums up a little.

An allied thought, if you can have a standard NPPL medical then this would permit you working as a microlight instructor, and I think that the old FCL 150B/A (essentially the same standard, but what we used to use on microlights) would also permit commercial balloon flying. So professional flying may not be totally excluded for you, even if airline flying presumably is.

G

vfrrider481
5th Apr 2011, 09:46
Gents,

Many thanks for the supportive replies.

Ghengis, unfortunately it would be a restricted NPPL medical which basically means I can only be captain of the aircraft if there is a safety pilot, else I would have to be solo with no passengers.:(

Thanks though,

VFR

Intercepted
5th Apr 2011, 12:17
I'm sure you can find syndicates that won't have any problems at all having you as a member. I sometimes wish I could share costs a bit more and make longer trips for the money and you would probably be an ideal fit for the syndicate I'm in.

blueandwhite
5th Apr 2011, 12:24
I used to share a plane with someone in a similar position. PPL but restricted to NPPL due to medical. The insurance asked if he was restricted to NPPL because of medical. I think they might have loaded the premium. As it happened he gave up flying, but it might have ended up with a bit of a loading.

My current renewal specifically asks if anyone is flying on a NPPL because they can't get a medical. So it's something the insurance companies are looking at.

Best of luck. From my own point of view, I would be happy to be in a group with someone in your situation.

kui2324
5th Apr 2011, 19:40
I had my class 2 suspended due to medical issue for a few months last year. This meant I went to having an NPPL declaration. My insurance for my aircraft was also due around the same time and the insurers were happy to not change the quote I had been given when I advised them of the change in my circumstances.

So as long as you fly within your medical and privileges it is unlikely to make much of a difference and perhaps less so within a shared aircraft scenario.

But if you want to find out - perhaps speak to the group and find out their broker/insurer first and discuss it with them.

For most groups, accident history and less than 100 hours probably will have more of an influence.

One of the groups local to me had 3 members of 9 flying on NPPL medicals so you may find they are more than happy to have your experience and the medical is not an issue.

Good luck!

kui

Humaround
5th Apr 2011, 20:52
One of the members of my syndicate has a similar medical restriction - solo or fly with qualified pilot only.

No insurance loading or difficulty whatever.

flybymike
6th Apr 2011, 00:03
Gents,

Many thanks for the supportive replies.

Ghengis, unfortunately it would be a restricted NPPL medical which basically means I can only be captain of the aircraft if there is a safety pilot, else I would have to be solo with no passengers.

Thanks though,

VFR

It has been stated on another forum that even with a safety pilot, no other passengers can be carried. If true this seems crazy to me given that one unrestricted pilot is allowed to carry unlicenced passengers let alone one and a half pilots (as it were)

vfrrider481
6th Apr 2011, 17:35
I found the paragraph on the NPPL medical form. It reads:

If the applicant does not meet Group 2 standards he/she may be fit to fly solo or with another qualified pilot, but not with any other
passengers.

It does seem a little ambiguous. Does the "not with any other passengers" only when solo or when solo or accompanied by a safety pilot?

If the safety pilot has a CPL and I have an NPPL with restricted medical as above, it seems a little extreme not to allow passengeres at all.

Hmmmm,

VFR

flybymike
6th Apr 2011, 23:06
Yes that is exactly the ambiguous text I had in mind, and I believe it to be poor drafting. It would be ridiculous for example to ban flight with a whole plane load of licenced pilots. (Maximum four people on board for NPPL I believe)

vfrrider481
9th Apr 2011, 21:47
Firstly, thanks all for the positive replies.

The only worrying bit now is if EASA will allow the same medical standards for lapl particularly for the restricted nppl medical.

Anyone any idea what the latest is?

I am desperately hoping they retain the restricted medical in line with dvla class 1. As an aside, what's happening with microlights? Will they retain the current medical standards, as I understand they will still be administered by the caa?

Thanks,
Vfr