PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of aviation history...

Squawk7777
6th Feb 2002, 02:40
It has been over 10 years I believe since the former East German air carrier "Interflug" had its last flight. I am trying to find out a few things I couldn't find in any book or site:

* What was the aircraft registration like?. .* What ICAO codes were used for airports?. .* What was the official aviation language in the eastern block countries?. .* Were flight levels in feet or meters?. .* Did they use different naviagation systems?

Wycombe
6th Feb 2002, 03:34
Actually flew with Interflug, in 1980 (I think) on a charter from Gatwick to Dresden (then in E Germany of course).

Aircraft was a Tu134, they had reggies starting with DDR-. Think their ICAO code was IF.

From what I remember, the aircraft ferried in empty to pick us up....and departed empty after it brought as back 2 weeks later (economics not a consideration, obviously).

I also remember ramp workers at LGW stopping work to photograph us as we taxied out (Interflug were . .rarely seem outside of Eastern Europe and Havana in those days!).

What was I doing....just my parents idea of a Package Holiday with a difference...and it was!

Volume
8th Feb 2002, 11:39
Aircraft registration was DM-XXX first and changed to DDR-XXX later (donīt know exactly when but must been in the 80īs). Finally registration was D-XXXX after 1990. . .Knowing from east german films and an east german television soap opera about the interflug (donīt remember the title but it was repeated in television two years ago and I found it very interessting) official aviation language was english.. .Some more details might be found in a book I read about two years ago taken from the library so I canīt look into it again to answer your questions īWeg und Absturz der Interflug - Der Luftverkehr der DDRī, Brandenburgisches Verlagshaus, Berlin 1994 ISBN: 3-89488-071-6 DM 39.80 (unfortunately in german language) or in this PDF-file (www.herpa.de/magazine/pdf/ww2000_05/Interflug.pdf ) where the old and the final registration is shown.. .Instrumentation of the Interflug planes was with metrical altimeters, so I assume flight levels were generally given in meters in all eastern block countries.

Iīll e-mail you more information if I find some.

Tom the Tenor
8th Feb 2002, 13:57
The airport shop at Berlin Schonefeld still has a good collection of postcards from the Interflug era which include ramp shots of their IL-62s and some too of their A310s. The ramps shots are very atmostpheric indeed of the East Berlin days.

[ 08 February 2002: Message edited by: Tom the Tenor ]</p>

GlueBall
10th Feb 2002, 21:25
IF's three GE powered A310-304s were registered as DDR-ABA,ABB,ABC. They are now in the German Luftwaffe Transport Fleet. Additional Interflug fleet (1989) included: 29 TU134, 12 IL18, 2 TU154, 16 IL62.