PDA

View Full Version : Fast track PPL groundschool

Old n Airborne
4th Apr 2011, 21:57
I have been having trouble with the Nav stuff going into my old head. Infact reading the book it gets worse by the page.

I heard from my instructor that there are some outfits that do a day session where you do the studying with the tutor and on the same day sit the PPL examination. I got 88% in Airlaw and that was well yawn worthy.
I think i have the other parts of the exams bagged, but i wanted to get what to me are the worst two parts.

Does anyone know of one of these outfits, i heard there was one in Wilts/Hants area. I found a few, but they dont list course dates or pricing.
I'm Located in London and dont mind travelling.

I would appriciate any advice you guys could give.

Thanks in advance,
OnA

Rugbyears
5th Apr 2011, 07:21
I would suggest you don't worry, take your time and work your way through the T. Pratt book, if you are still a little unsure purchase the Oxford Software on CD. Regardless take your time to learn the material and not simply answer the questions in the confuser, although it remains very helpful to exam preparation. Don't forget you can come back here and ask questions, it's a goodway for us chaps to maintain our knowledgebase.

(Mods please amend following if I breach any forum rules - thank you)

However, at the rear of Mays edition of Flyer there is an advert for that said service.

Derek Davisons ground school and exams.
07831 517428
07766 312221
[email protected]

LynAir ground school and exams.
01858 462751
LynAir UK - Private Pilot's Licence (PPL) Ground Exams - Ground Theory - Training - Leicester - Leicestershire - Northampton - Northamptonshire (http://www.LynAirUk.co.uk)

SWS ground school and exams.
PPL Ground School, Steve Wilkes Seminars (http://www.pilotgroundschool.co.uk)

WILCO.XMG
5th Apr 2011, 10:58
There is a crowd in Cambridge as well i think.

A guy was writing up his PPL Diary here and went to Cambridge and sat Nav, General Knowledge, Human Factors and Flight Planning in two days.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Apr 2011, 11:09
I think the only way to crack Nav is by doing it. At the very least, spend quality time planning hypothetical flights, producing your own PLOG, doing the calcs. It'll all come together that way - just working through the book alone, it won't.

G

Whopity
5th Apr 2011, 12:21
I think the only way to crack Nav is by doing it.The technique observed on many PPL Skill Tests is "Point and Pray" which probably results from doing just that. The candidate sits there with a finger pointing at the map 20 minutes, occasionally making wild and illogical guesses, then somehow expects to finish up in the right place. No planning, no checks, no method, no clock, no accuracy and it would appear, bugger all instruction!

cirrusdancer
5th Apr 2011, 14:18
I can vouch for Derek Davidson who helped me get through some of the exams, especially Air Law. A day or two intense study is time well spent if you're stuck on a subject.
Nav I did by self study and quiet enjoyed, but there's a practical aspect to get your teeth into and the Whiz wheel brought back happy memories of my slide rule.

jaycee46
5th Apr 2011, 15:07
I used Derek Davidson, last year, and passed all 6 outstanding exams in the four days allowed (had already done airlaw). All a little quirky and irreverant, but got the job done, and kept the interest. He's based beside Bournemouth Airport.

Highly recommended!

Old n Airborne
5th Apr 2011, 22:26
The only issue i have in Nav is the cockpit stuff like diversions and im afraid my mental arithmetic is not as it should be. Like most have said i just need to practice in the armchair or FSX. I have the Oxford disk also. I think its more of a too much info.

Im on practical nav and i must have shown a weakness in this area my instructor has insisted that i complete this exam before im let loose for my solo nav - i understand why and agree with it.

Thanks all for your replies as ever a good place to find help. Thanks guys.

stoneray
4th Jun 2011, 14:51
I have heard that alpha1pplgroundschool.co.uk is excellent