PDA

View Full Version : Suckling??

MFALK
23rd Jun 2001, 20:16
Was flying into EHAM this morning and heard a callsign which sounded like "Suckling" + a flight number. The pilot on the R/T, judging by the accent, was British.

Can anyone shed any light on this operation or is it time to dewax? :-)

Safe flying!

Manflex55
23rd Jun 2001, 20:34
MFALK,

I think Suckling was the previous name of Scot Airways (based in Coventry). Apparently they have kept their original callsign !

tailscrape
23rd Jun 2001, 21:19
"Suckling xxx" is indeed the call sign of Scot Airways.

They have retained their call sign of "Suckling" as they were formerly called Suckling Airways.

They are actually (Head Office ) based in Cambridge, UK, not Coventry.

Hope this helps.

Red Spitfire Driver
24th Jun 2001, 01:10
Suckling Airways, founded by Mr & Mrs Suckling. He was the pilot she was the cabin staff, based originally at Ipswich I believe.
Saw an interesting documentary about the airline many moons ago..

SkyCruiser
24th Jun 2001, 03:03
Are you sure this is not a wind up, you know, british airline employing british people.

Red Spitfire Driver
26th Jun 2001, 01:12
I know it comes as a bit of a shock.
What with the Air France with an Irish Accent, and the KLM F50's with Ozzy pilots. Most confusing for us ATCOs...

HomerSimpson
11th Jul 2001, 21:45
Red Spitfire Driver.

I saw teh same documentary many moons ago too. I would like to find out whether they are recruiting. I could do with a job right now!

Homer :D

Scottie Dog
11th Jul 2001, 23:49
Yes, run originally by Roy and Merlyn Suckling.

A great couple. Roy was the chief pilot and Merlyn use to on the road as Sales Representative etc. A lovely couple of girls use to run the reservations office in Ipswich, which initially use to be their base until the Dorniers made too much of a mess of the grass strip.

I remember taking my younger daughter for her 1st flight from Manchester to Cambridge - as an 8th birthday present - and we were the only passengers going southbound (with the exception of one other).

On the return Roy was the captain and made a wonderful announcement to the passengers - a Dornier 228's worth - about her birthday and even sang her a birthday song. On arrival at EGCC my duaghter was allowed to help with the opening of the cabin door and seeing all the passengers off.

Yes, those were the days when an airline was run by the staff for the passengers.

Long may it last.

Scottie Dog
:p :p :cool: :) :cool: :p :p

newswatcher
12th Jul 2001, 14:29
I believe, and it may have come from the documentary, that they(Sucklings) prepared the in-flight catering at their home, and took it to the airport when they reported for duty!

Unfortunately Health Regulations preclude this nowadays!

Mycroft
13th Jul 2001, 02:23
on SOU-AMS normal meal is penguin biscuit - business class get salad though