PDA

View Full Version : PPL options

scotcop
2nd Apr 2011, 17:52
I have no doubt that there are hundreds of similar posts to this one so I apologise however none of them have managed to answer my specific question.

I have wanted to fly commercially basically my whole 20 years on this earth however until now financial constraints have prevented this. I am now in a position where I can start to get the ball rolling. I have got myself a profession (I'm a cop!) one which many would regard as a life career and in turn this means I have a means to pay for my flight training. I currently have £10,000 to start off with but I want to make the absolute most out of this money. My plan was to gain my PPL then my FIR and get a part time job instructing to build my hours whilst saving money to obtain CPL, IR etc. What I want to know is where can I get the most for my money? I live in the UK however I don't mind travelling the globe to make the most of my money and is this plan a feasible and realistic one? I am fully aware that this will take time as I will be fitting flying round work.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated:ok:

PotentialPilot
2nd Apr 2011, 19:24
20 Yr old Cop, life profession already. £10,000 to part with..

Sometimes I think university was a bad idea..

Anyway, I may be able to put you in touch with a guy who is a 'Cop' also and currently holds a PPL

scotcop
2nd Apr 2011, 19:30
Believe me it hasn't come without sacrifice, and the £10k was inheritance so I haven't worked too hard yet lol! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pitofrost
4th Apr 2011, 18:42
Finish your probation (if you haven't already) whilst getting your PPL for about £7K of your £10K. Fly for fun for a couple of years whilst getting the Scottish equivalent of OSPRE 1 and 2, by which time hopefully there will be promotions again. Get through the sergeant process whilst saving for your CPL. When bedded down as a patrol or neighbourhood sergeant stay on shift and use your rest days for CPL.

That should get you to about 2017 with stripes and a CPL. You can look at what the airline industry is doing then and decide between staying in the job and flying for fun or going into aviation full time.

Or transfer south of the border and go for air observer in the new national (England and Wales) joint air unit.

Wish I'd done the above...