PDA

View Full Version : Operation into Lagos

Bassie
28th Mar 2011, 16:48
Hi All,

A questions for all of you who fly into Lagos, Nigeria.

I am flying into Lagos recently, and I am just wondering if any of you have additional information about flying in Africa.

The company provides info, but some additional info regarding enroute alternates, destination alternates etc for a Europe to Lagos operation.

Some tips and trics, do's en don't, so to say.

Thanks,

Bassie

Mercenary Pilot
28th Mar 2011, 17:11
Some tips and trics, do's en don't, so to say.

Consider flying a 1-3 NM parallel offset to the right of the airway and maintain a listening watch on 126.9

Keep an eye on everything that isn't nailed down once on the ground and remember that a little bribery goes a long way.

stuckgear
28th Mar 2011, 17:18
Keep an eye on everything that isn't nailed down once on the ground

And if it is nailed down keep an eye on those who have tools on them.

Dengue_Dude
28th Mar 2011, 17:39
You are SOo welcome. Keep an eye on your TCAS.

Listen very carefully to ATC, if only the responses from opposing traffic. It seems to be based on DME, but I've not done it for 3 years now (hooray!)

Remember 'Happiness is V1 at Lagos'.

TyroPicard
29th Mar 2011, 12:10
I haven't been for ages... in the 1980's when the 19R LOC was U/S we used to fly a VOR approach assisted by the G/S! Happy days...

wonderbusdriver
29th Mar 2011, 18:55
- Listen to 126.9 and make position reports accordingly.

- Give them a lengthy "transmitting blind" Pos-Report, if they donīt answer and youīre sure they hear you.

- Become especially "aware" when ATC sounds "nervous" and requests confirmation of position - bearing, DME - of others and yourself.

-Slow down for birds and ATC.

- Know how to use you WXR-radar and tell ATC (!!!) what you will do, if their orders donīt work according to your plan.

- Have an RNAV-App as a back-up if possible.

- Have enough fuel for "another round" or two.

- Use "common sense"

-Enjoy the fact that youīre allowed to use common sense as compared to being close the generic-SOP-dpt.

Itīs not rocket science, just donīt expect much and donīt complain, respect the locals coz theyīre doing their best.

Send the pencilpushers and the folks that need rules-to-the-inch down there to get a whiff of life.

B777Heavy
30th Mar 2011, 05:49
Into LAGOS,
-fly as directed by radar, dont fly offtrack as suggested by someone here, they have radar.
-The accent my be a bit tricky to understand
-they vector you for about 15nm final for runway 18R, 18L usually for domestic traffic
-ILS works ok
-Possible Destination Alternates---ACCRA(Radar Environment,300NM or so), or Cotonou(non-radar, small airport quite close, about 100NM)
-ATIS
-ATS can be very good or the contrary depending on the day
-Landing 18r, vacate to the left on high-speed taxi way and park on the Echos or Deltas for international passenger parking bays.

Doodlebug
30th Mar 2011, 09:30
''Send the pencilpushers and the folks that need rules-to-the-inch down there to get a whiff of life.'' Hahahahaha! :ok:

Lagos likes to sort of forget you when things get a bit busy. We've ended up overhead the field, still at something like 370, waiting for further descent and onward clearance. :hmm:

Mercenary Pilot
30th Mar 2011, 09:58
-fly as directed by radar, dont fly offtrack as suggested by someone here, they have radar.

If you are referring to me, please reread my post. I said fly an 'Offset' and anywhere in Africa you should strongly consider doing it whether there is radar or not.