PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 210

FNQaviator
26th Mar 2011, 08:28
Hi can anyone help me with the circuit speeds required for a 210 as I am going to do a flight test for a job and wish to be prepared

Doodlebug
26th Mar 2011, 11:32
Instructors usually like to see 110 on downwind, 90 on base, 80 final. 18MP and 2400RPM on downwind, reducing to around 14MP on base, as a rough guide. Have fun, sweet aircraft.

FNQaviator
27th Mar 2011, 07:59
Thanks very much Doodlebug

SNS3Guppy
27th Mar 2011, 09:38
PM me with your email, and I'll send you some material.

I've got to get in the air in a few hours and there isn't much internet where I'm headed, so be patient.

172driver
27th Mar 2011, 11:00
Depends a bit on the variant, but as Doodlebug says, about 80 on final. One thing though, make sure you don't let the speed decay too much in the flare! The nose can come down very, very quickly... best to leave a bit of power in until you're actually on the ground. Great a/c, you'll love it!

Something else comes to mind. You indicate, this is a checkride for a job. Suggest you ascertain which model it is and make sure you know the procedures for emergency gear extension and pre-flighting it. I bet whoever checks you out will want to see that you're familiar with it.

SNS3Guppy
27th Mar 2011, 11:13
If one is doing a checkride for a job in an airplane for which one has no experience, one won't be expected to know the airplane.

If the original poster had experience in the airplane, he wouldn't be asking. Most likely it's an entry level job, and he isn't expected to have a lot of insight into the airplane.

He needs some basic information in order to put his best foot forward on the checkride, but that's it.

sunday driver
27th Mar 2011, 11:15
i am going to do a flight test for a job and wish to be prepared

rtfm?

Sd

SNS3Guppy
27th Mar 2011, 11:21
I have no idea what "rtfm" is supposed to mean, but one going for a job in a Cessna 210 is generally not well into his career. Usually a first or second job at best. If one is asking questions such as the approach speed it's a given that one has no experience in type, which means that the employer isn't going to expect him to have experience in type.

When one gets a job in an aircraft one hasn't flown, often one does a checkride or a sim ride in that airplane, or some other aircraft, and one isn't expected to be a whiz in the airplane in which one is getting tested (unless one has a lot of experience in type).

I have the manuals as well as a bunch of material on getting ready for a checkride in the airplane that happen to be on my computer at the moment, because I was doing checkouts in 210's not too long ago. The material isn't mine, but it may be of some use. I'll be headed downrange shortly and don't expect much or very good internet, so sending attachments likely won't work after I go. Otherwise, if the original poster can wait, I can send them in a week or two.

subsonicsubic
27th Mar 2011, 13:01
RTFM refers to Read The F*&^%$ Manual.

Anyone test flying any aircraft should certainly RTFM

Big Pistons Forever
27th Mar 2011, 19:35
My 02 cents

First the C 210 was built from 1960 to 1985. The 1985 C210R is a completely different airplane from the 1960 210A. All the weights dimensions and virtually all the systems are different. Therefor you need to know the model and year of the aircraft you will be flying in order to prepare. One very simple example is all C210's built prior to 1974 (I think) have ASI's in Mph while after that they were in knots. So, for example, saying fly the approach at 90 means nothing without specifying the weight of the aircraft and the units.

In any case the fact that you asked about circuit speeds seems to indicate that you are treating this like a club checkout.

If you are going for a proper job on this aircraft than the check pilot is going to tell you what speeds the company wants the aircraft to be flown at. What you should show up with is a good knowledge of the aircraft limitations, systems and checklists, all of which can be done by studying the POH before hand...which I guess is a long winded but more polite way of saying RTFM;)

Pilot DAR
28th Mar 2011, 02:20
I second Piston's comments. Though I do accept that a particular operator might have numeric expectations for speeds to be flown at different phases of flight, were I to be checking out a pilot, that would be secondary for me. I'd want to know that the pilto was conversant with the limiting speeds of the aircraft, and was able to fly precisly in the low speed range. For a 210, that is as likely accomplished by properly feeling the aircraft, as following an indicated speed.

Were I to see the candidate pilot appearing to depend upon the ASI, a sticky note would suddenly appear over the ASI, with a reference to a myterious system failure. I would expect a safe landing within an appropriate portion of the runway, without airspeed information.

My modest advice would be to concentrate on being comfortable flying the aircraft, with the limiting speeds, and emergency speeds for the Flight Manual for that aircraft as memory items. Other than that, conform to the circuit traffic, rather than flying by rote. Generally, smooth is more appreciated, that methodcal adherance to a stated speed, in operations not close to the ground.

Don't worry yourself, relax and enjoy the flight....

Pilot DAR
28th Mar 2011, 02:28
Oh, and to support my point, a photo of the pitot tube of the 182 I ferried home last year....

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/PilotDAR/Aircraft/IMG_0826.jpg

Cape Fear
28th Mar 2011, 06:16
Have you any numbers for a 2005' C182 just as a rough guide. Thanks