PDA

View Full Version : Route to becoming an FIC

shy ted
25th Mar 2011, 07:07
Can anyone enlighten me on the route to becoming an FIC?

Standards doc 10 talks about "higher than average" levels of instructional ability and experience, then outlines training and assesment requirements

JAR FCL 1.330(f) says 500hrs Instruction and demonstrate ability to an FI(E)

... but what are the "real world" requirements? If I apply with 500hrs instructional experience am I likely to be accepted, or is the bar set higher in reality? Can I become an FIC independently, or do I need to be sponsored by an FTO?

Any real-world experience appreciated!

Oktas8
25th Mar 2011, 07:33
Is there an FIE who knows you and has flown with you? You could ask him/her for an opinion.

Best of luck,
O8

Whopity
25th Mar 2011, 07:35
Under the present system you need to meet the requirements of Standards Doc 10. As the FI revalidation forms no longer contain a level i.e average; above average etc (They did pre 1999 but no longer PC) then you are required to apply to the CAA and then attend a selection interview where the panel will determine if indeed you are above average. Following the interview and subject to a recommendation, you complete a 2 day course with a FIE and then take a test with an FIE who was one of the members of the selection panel.

You do not need to be sponsored by a FTO, but the approval of the individual is tied to a nominated FTO.

Under EASA things may well be different, if you meet the experience requirements and pass a test with an FIE then the CAA will have to authorise you without adding their own requirements. The standard will inevitably lower and there will be more FIC instructors. The way of Europe!

shy ted
25th Mar 2011, 08:06
Thanks for your responses.

I guess I just can't quite imagine an FI with, say, 12 months experience and 500 hours of instructional time in his/her log book turning up for a panel interview and the panel thinking anything other than "no" before he/she even opens their mouth - so if that is the case (which I suspect it well may be) then what experience levels are they actually going to look for?

Whopity
25th Mar 2011, 13:55
Typically you are looking for around 1500 hours and ideally should have sat in on a FI Course as an observer to see haow its done, because you will get a fair few questions about how you would run an FI Course.

Reverserbucket
31st Mar 2011, 21:06
Whopity

Interesting how things are likely to change with EASA. The system in the U.S. is similar - no selection or training is required and an FI with two years instructional experience may teach student FI's. I have in the past spent time being "instructed" by a recently "qualified" instructor trainer and his standard was horrible - lot's of masking of the stick and feet on the pedals etc. with absolutely no emphasis on teaching technique or training philosophy. If we go the same way I'm afraid we will have lost a valuable and important tool and future students and trainee instructors will have been done a great disservice. Very sad.

Whopity
31st Mar 2011, 22:28
The UK phylosophy has always been that the simplest way to control the standard of PPLs is by controling those who train the instructors. That is too elitist for Europe, and we are now expected to believe that overburdening the schools with meaningless paperwork and allowing anyone with the minimum hours to do the training will somehow be better! But of course its all deceided by a bunch of clerks with no real world aviation experience.

S-Works
1st Apr 2011, 09:43
Or you could argue that it is good to see the old boys club comprised of ex RAF crew on second pensions having their stranglehold broken on the UK flight training industry?

Elitist snobbery comes to mind.

blagger
1st Apr 2011, 10:02
Bose - that is complete hoop. There are many senior and well respected individuals in UK FTOs that have never been near the RAF. Equally, CFS has long been recognised as a world leader in flying instruction techniques and standards so it is no surprise that many ex-RAF CFS types are prominent in the industry.

S-Works
1st Apr 2011, 10:12
Yeah I know. I was just poking for a reaction! Being ex RAF myself.......
:p:p:p:p:p