PDA

View Full Version : distance learning for cpl/atpl

kb1
20th Feb 2001, 01:53
Has anyone done a distance learning course, say with Oxford or Bristol. I would like to know how difficult it is to study for atpl exams without the benefit of direct tuition; as in a class room where you can ask questions. Are the courses worth it?
Any advice much appreciated.

Jumbo Jockey
20th Feb 2001, 14:44
Did my ATPL exams with PPSC, albeit many years ago now. It is not a problem as long as you are prepared to devote 2 to 3 hours a day to it without distractions. My studies were done as a correspondence course rather than self-study, which means at the end of every section you have to complete a written test and send it off to them for evaluation. This is very valuable to gauge your progress, as long as you do it under exam conditions, i.e. sticking strictly to the allotted time limit and not cheating!

I guess people respond differently to different teaching methods, but for me the correspondence course worked well.

Good luck!

kb1
20th Feb 2001, 23:46
Thanks for that.Having done the theory part of the ATPL, how many flying hours and various ratings need to be attained. You must be looking at £50,000 or so to fund it yourself. Is this done in conjunction with the theory or is it completely up to you?