PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous destinations

Talkingtelly
19th Feb 2001, 15:02
I have heard that pilots find some aiports easier than others to fly to and I am interested to know which are the ones you hate. Where are the most dangerous destinations and why? Are there places in the world that only certain pilots can fly to owing to their experience?

static
19th Feb 2001, 15:51
Dear Sarah,

My compliments for not trying to hide the fact that you`re a journalist.
What are you trying to accomplish with the information you`ll get here. It will be very subjective and anonimous.
My least favourite airport would be any situated near high terrain, with controllers who cannot speak English, with a poor state of maintenance and hardly any navaids.

Good luck with your programms

Country_Bloke
19th Feb 2001, 20:43
Dear Sarah,

Airlines categorise airfields taking into account many factors e.g.

a. Navigation aids
b. Terrain
c. Meteorological factors
d. Air traffic control procedures
e. Runway characteristics
and many others

A typical categories might be:

Cat A - No restrictions, a "normal' destination

Cat B - Self brief from a specially prepared airfield brief which highlights the factors associated with the destination.

Cat C - Simulator check prior to flying to the destination.

Cat D - Must fly with training captain or captain experienced with the particular airfield before operating as pilot in command.

Experience on type or in command restrictions might also apply and in some cases the requirement might be for two captains to operate the flight.

Procedures will vary between airlines, but overall the philosophy will be the same, i.e. safety. To obtain specific and accurate (I stress that, "accurate") information you will have to contact airlines directly and ask specific questions about how their airfield/destination categorisation scheme works.

I am afraid that you will find that it is not very exciting and unlikely to make good broadcast material. But then that is the whole point of safety, to ensure that flying is routine and does not become "exciting".

Good Luck
Country_Bloke

Desk Driver
19th Feb 2001, 21:44
Sarah,

To save you a lot of time and effort, the answer to your real question is

"No! UK airlines do not make their pilots fly into dangerous airfields putting their passengers at risk!" Sorry but no story here.

------------------
-------------------------
You fly em we'll fill em!

scarebus
20th Feb 2001, 04:13
Sarah,
The only interesting airfield I've been to was Headcorn a couple of years ago, granted it was in a PA28 but it definitely the biggest eye opener I've ever incountered.

-first of all no ATC (just a radio service),
-it was a weekend and there were at least four in the circuit, and another dozen in the local area
-there were 6-10 parachutist landing in the airfield at the same time
-2-3 remote controlled aircraft inside the airfield boundary
-a public foot path crossing the end of the active runway
-an odd sheep or two
-and finally a soft bumpy grass runway

the amazing thing is how everything seems to work in harmony, at the time it didn't seem dangerous but in hind sight I guess it is.

SpeedBird22
20th Feb 2001, 04:23
Anyone ever tried landing on Lundy?? Someone I know did and nearly destroyed an entire flock of sheep grazing in the field/runway.

On a different note - why so hard on the journo? I don't think any decent reporter would look here for a complete conclusive story and is probably just trying to supplement or get background info. Isn't it better if we all have a part of what ends up in the media rather than it being totally fabricated? Just a thought.

BirdSeed22

jumpseater
20th Feb 2001, 20:05
Funchal in Maderia has in the past been a challenging, not dangerous, airport to operate into. See if you can get hold of the approach plates for the old configuration, I don't know if the new runway is open yet, but it was always an interesting approach form up front. There was also a pprune topic on funchal with pictures, try search to find it.
JS

vipero
21st Feb 2001, 02:20
Mykonos in Greece was another nice place to land, at least before they make the runway longer...
Ciao
Paolo

"Flight Dispatchers tell pilots where to go"

togaroo
22nd Feb 2001, 15:04
Its a pity Kai Tak isnt around anymore - I'm sure that it used to provide an adrenalin rush to heavy pilots going in there! But as said before - if it isnt safe then you wouldnt operate into there - thats what the military guys in hercs are for!

scanscanscan
22nd Feb 2001, 17:07
If you are feeling a bit constipated and desire a cure may I suggest you look at the approach charts and Sids for Nepal.
If that fails to move you, consider it at night with an engine failure after take off or on a missed approach at minimums, it always works for me.
Luckily I did not have to go near the place as a Captain. I am in total hero worship of thoes pilots who flew into Nepal and died in the mountains they had more guts than me to even attempt it.

------------------
We will do the drill according to the amendments to the amendments I er think?