PDA

View Full Version : BWIA West Indies Airways Anyone?

flying doc
18th Feb 2001, 14:48
Hello!

I wonder if anybody has travelled with BWIA to Barbados or Port of Spain, and also on short-haul flights within the region down there.

I am looking for just a few opinions as to what the airline is like, punctuality, operating aircraft etc.

Many thanks,

FD

HugMonster
18th Feb 2001, 15:04
I last travelled on BWIA a few years ago, when they had L1011's and MD80's only.

Punctuality excellent. Cabin crews (like any) range from merely competent and unsmiling to completely wonderful. Back then the aircraft were a bit tired and tatty, but they've had new kit since then.

PaulDeGearup
18th Feb 2001, 20:58
Flew BWIA this summer to BGI. L1011 ex LHR. In Business Class v comfy, large leather seats in 2-3-2 config. Service and food were great, cabin staff v friendly. Would highly recommend it. Only slight drawback was no seatback TVs but then I rarely watch the movies preferring to read and sleep.

411A
19th Feb 2001, 00:15
If you looked at the maintenance, it would NOT be so rosey! For example NONE of their TriStars have had the rear spar web AD complied with via SB.

SunSeaSandfly
23rd Feb 2001, 06:17
Not quite true, 411A two of the four are modded, not sure which two, though.
Ask the Guvnor, he knows them well.

------------------
fly low, bite hard

PaulDeGearup
27th Feb 2001, 23:16
OK 411A exactly whose maintenance procedures do you check on before you fly ?

When I fly as a fare paying pax I don't get to see the tech log; I rely on SSF and his mates to check that as they would when I'm driving !

BWIA are a good bunch; the service is and food are much better than you'll get from BA ex LGW on the 777. next time I go to BGI I'm going BWIA.