PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question: N-Reg in Europe

iwrbf
16th Mar 2011, 20:44
Hi,

maybe a dumb and quite simple question...

If one decides not to believe in the dump of N-reg airplanes in EASA-land in the near future.

If one buys an N-reg airplane, uses a trust in the States to register the airplane.

How will the airplane be insured? By a US insurance company? By a local insurer somewhere in Europe?

Kind regards,
Peter

IO540
16th Mar 2011, 20:53
By a normal UK aviation insurer.

They could not care less what the reg on the side of it is.

BTW EASA is not proposing to evict N-reg airframes. Their current proposal is to require EASA pilot papers (in addition to the usual State of Registry pilot papers required under ICAO). They will however accept ICAO Type Ratings.

AdamFrisch
16th Mar 2011, 21:24
US insurers won't touch a foreign reg, nor will they easily insure an aircraft based abroad, so a UK insurer is your best bet.

Funnily enough, insuring aircraft generally seems like the equivalent of the wild west. I've tried to insure my old Aero Commander 520 here in the US, and nobody wants to touch it, even though all I want is liability and no hull. It's too old, not enough experience in type, etc. So this bizarre situation now arises - to gain experience in type you simply go fly uninsured (which is perfectly legal in the US) and then come back to them when you've met their requirements.... Strange workings. I doubt that would be legal in Europe.

AdamFrisch
18th Mar 2011, 00:14
Yes. I have ground insurance, which was a requirement by the airport and easy to get.

But the airborne one will have to wait until I can find an underwriter that will insure it. It wasn't as much the experience as I had my CFI on it as a co-signatory, it was the age of the aircraft they told me. Which makes little sense as I wasn't asking for hull.

My insurance agent tried most insurers. I'll have to retry again down the line. Does AOPA actually insure, or just facilitate?