PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee emergency landing.

AdamFrisch
15th Mar 2011, 23:47
Here's an interesting video of a Cherokee emergency landing from inside the cockpit of a Baron. Everyone walked away, just some bent landing gears.

YouTube - BonanzaG36's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/BonanzaG36#p/u/6/nbqg_GdG3Js)

vanHorck
16th Mar 2011, 11:57
A little rough, but hey, the P1 did great getting both out without medical issues.... Well done!

yawningdog
16th Mar 2011, 12:06
Looks like he might have stalled it. Lucky he wasn't any higher.

unmanned transport
16th Mar 2011, 20:13
Rudder, rudder, rudder, keep the yoke level.

You're right, the wing(s) were stalling. If he had been at 500', it would not have been a pleasant outcome.

clivewatson
17th Mar 2011, 18:52
If he had been at 500 feet he wouldn't have been in the situation he faced!!:ugh:

yawningdog
18th Mar 2011, 08:50
Doh yeah! Suppose you're right there.:) But even 15 feet higher could have been extremely nasty. But what does that matter, it didn't happen.

Tarq57
18th Mar 2011, 09:04
A notch or two of flap during or just before the flare might have made a bit of difference.

Morrisman1
18th Mar 2011, 09:21
Bit low on the base leg isnt he? :p

Without seeing the rest of the approach I think the pilot has done a reasonably good job of getting it back down on the ground. He sure was cutting it fine and whether that is his fault or just bad luck as far as wind, altitude etc goes is not apparent in this video but the main thing is everyone is on the ground safely and secondary is that the aircraft was not seriously damaged, both of which I think he accomplished

Mark1234
18th Mar 2011, 10:36
Just for a little background, this is Sydney Bankstown airport - it is surrounded by a heavily built up suburban area, not a good place to have a donkey quit.

I don't recall the details, but this was discussed at some length in the D&G forum a good while back. Bemused as to how we know he's stalling, and as for adding flap in the middle of all that :confused:

tmmorris
18th Mar 2011, 15:48
Absolutely amazing how the landing gear and the grass (I assume it's grass where he is) soaks up that hard landing with hardly any bouncing. Full marks to Piper.

I'm sure he bent it - but at that stage I doubt he cared!

Tmi

yawningdog
18th Mar 2011, 18:23
Looking at it closely I can't see how its not a stall. High nose attitude, rapid roll to the left with sudden very high rate of descent. If it was at a normal flying speed with that nose high attitude, it wouldn't be sinking so quick.

Tarq57
18th Mar 2011, 22:05
Mark1234, you wouldn't be adding flap in the middle of all that, but maybe at a position about 5 or 10 s before the a/c came into the camera view.
I would be, anyway.

JEM60
19th Mar 2011, 06:37
Saw a virtually identical incident with a Bonanza 36 at Oshkosh a few years ago. No failure, just badly flown. I videod it to discover that my film consisted of very jerky grass, and an American voice saying 'Holy sh.t Get out of the way, get out of the way!!' as it groundlooped towards us. Some undercarriage damage on that one, and a passenger who probably will not fly with that guy again!!.