PDA

View Full Version : US regionals captain positions

heavyairbus
17th Feb 2001, 23:29
I am an airbus captain for a major European airline and obviously quite happy with that. Now however, my wife wants us to move to the USA (green card holder). As I don't want to fly as a FO anymore, I wonder if some of the established Regionals (Skywest, ...) are hiring direct entry captains?

------------------

Roadtrip
18th Feb 2001, 03:36
HAB - You've got to be kidding??!! You'd rather work as a captain for peanuts at a commuter airline rather than be an F/O making $100,000 the third year at a major. Somebody may think there's something wrong with you -- like an overinflated ego. Some lousy paying outfits like Great Lakes hire direct entry captains on BE-1900s, but any Part 121 company worth salt has a labor contract that dictates seniority as the criteria.

If you're serious about working in the US airline industry, swallow you're pride a bit and tough out a couple of years as an F/O again. Check out Jet Blue. They're a new startup out of NY and fly A320s exclusively. Upgrade time, I've heard is less than 2 years. It has all the trappings of a good outfit, with good financing, but is non-union, so wages/benefits are not at major airline levels. If the company is successful, you could expect the pilots to unionize, hence industry standard pay and benefits.

Or try the corporate world. There are plenty of good jobs for experienced captains there, without the restrictions of a labor contract.

[This message has been edited by Roadtrip (edited 19 February 2001).]

Speedbird48
19th Feb 2001, 16:12
Atlantic Coast Airlines out of Washington/Dulles is a possibility.
They have just upgraded a Jetstream 32 guy, with only 11mths in the company, to a Canadair CRJ Captain!!
Experience is getting thin with most of the regionals and, ALPA agreements permitting, you could find a left seat quite easily.