PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

Oberoi
12th Mar 2011, 20:29
I want to get PPL(Private pilot License) and I live in NY. I was wondering if it matters from where you get your training and license? if somebody can help me.... i'll really appreciate.
Thanks

kaptn
12th Mar 2011, 20:41
no matter which fliying club you fly in NY or San fransisco...Your license will be FAA one. The only diffrence between diffrent schools is the quality of instruction, and the cost (also schedule, aircrafts...)

now , if you do it outside the US, it's another thing....

Note that you can have a JAA private pilot in the US also (EFT or EASA for exemple)....
Hope that's answer your quiery

cefey
13th Mar 2011, 03:00
Best solution may be to go to FL or CA. Because of good weather, you will get it much quicker. More intensive training --> less hours needed --> less cost.
You can get both, FAA and JAA at different schools in FL and CA.
Good luck!

Whirlygig
13th Mar 2011, 09:16
Oberoi, this is the professional training forum and the answers you have been given are assuming you mean to go on to train for commercial licences.

If that is not the case, then it doesn't matter where you get your PPL but make sure that the training you receive will be up to standard. A local school will be best so that you will feel comfortable in your own area for subsequent self-fly hire.

Visit a few schools in your local area and decide which one will suit you best. Just remember that cost isn't everything.

If you wish to go on to get commercial licences, if you are a US citizen there is very little point in you getting the European JAA licences - you've been fed a red herring there.

Cheers

Whirls

A and C
15th Mar 2011, 06:29
I found that the cost of flying near the coasts in the USA was higher than in the centre, I did a lot of flying in Detroit and saved my self some money not only on the flying but also on the hotel costs.

I think this is for two reasons, the hotel was cheaper because no one takes a vacation in Detroit! (they do in Florida) and all the European pilots in search of a cheap deal go to the "nice" places rather than the rust belt.

If you live in New York I would post your exact location and let the local pilots give you recomendations of local training establishments, that way you will get the BEST deal but this is not likely to be the CHEAPEST deal.

Ryan5252
15th Mar 2011, 10:27
I may be confussed (it has been known to happen) but unless the thread has been moved how is this a professional training forum? As well as the JAA/FAA herring why has professional licences been thrown in?

Anyways, to answer the OP original question; in simple terms the best school to get your PPL is the school best suited to you. This depends firstly on your location and how far you wish to travel, how often you wish to fly, how much you have in your warchest, the type of aircraft you wish to fly and the relationship you will have with your instructor. You may very well get recommendations here based on others past experience and you should of course consider these but ultimately the best thing to do is go to all the different schools in your area and sit down with your potential instructor and discuss your training requirements. This will give you an opportunity to discover how the school operates and if you can envisage yourself being happy to be a part of that school for the duration of your training.

There are some usefull threads here which will help you when you visit your school. (Here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/444441-questions-ask-flying-school.html) is one for example)

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Oberoi
15th Mar 2011, 20:39
Thank you for taking a moment to reply and helping me out.

I am looking forward to be a professional pilot. I am located in Queens, NY.

Thanks once again :)