PDA

View Full Version : JAA Conversion

C H
14th Feb 2001, 06:45
Hello
I'm a British citizen with a Canadian Commercial [fixed wing], Group 1 IFR, Frozen ATPL [IATRA here in Canada], Seaplane, and Glider. I currently have 630TT mostly on C-207's in the arctic. My question is how can I convert this to a JAR FCL, and if I can how much does it cost.

Cheers

BIK_116.80
14th Feb 2001, 14:35
I think you may find that the required steps for you to "convert" to a JAR professional flight crew licence is close enough to exactly the same as it would be for someone right off the street with zero time.

There is currently no true licence conversion process. The UK and other JAA member states are using the JAA as a tool in a high level political power play with the USA.

The UK pilot union seems quite content with this arrangement. The union seems to believe that regulatory “closed shop” policies will help to keep out "nasty foreigners" (which I know you are not) and force local airlines to pay for training for more local zero time cadets. So far this approach does not seem to be working, but is still being pursued anyway.

Unfortunately, you (and your bank account) are stuck in the middle.

Best of luck.

Ingo
15th Feb 2001, 18:16
I read the in the JAR's somewhere, don't remember the exact words, that licences from another ICAO-state are to recieve "softer" treatment than FAA licences.
However, if this is the case, you should not convert your licences until you've got your canadian ATPL valid i.e "unfrozen".

Hot&Heavy
15th Feb 2001, 19:28
I think you'll find all the information you need is on the CAA website at www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk)

Got to the FCL page and look for a document called FCL Policy Update dated 30/01/01.

There's a lot of reading, but in the ever changing climate of JAA it is the most up to date info.

Cheers, H&H