PDA

View Full Version : D036 danger area crossing

neilgeddes
7th Mar 2011, 10:10
Hi, I'm planning a VFR flight to Alderney later this week intending to cross danger area D036. I will phone up Plymouth Military Air Operations on 01752 557550 the day before to check the planned activity status and in the air, prior to entry, speak to Plymouth Military on 124.150 to request a DACS.

My question is has anyone ever been refused entry? What did you do then? I suppose I'd have to route further West direct from KATHY to ORTAC.

Also, do you phone Jersey ATC in advance to obtain prior permission for SVFR zone entry clearance? I think I did phone last time and was told the flight plan was sufficient.

Thanks, Neil

wsmempson
7th Mar 2011, 10:27
I've only ever been refused a DACS for D036 by Plymouth Mil twice in 5 years, both times because of live firing and target towing, in which case I routed to the west of the zone, en-route to Cherbourg.

If flying to Alderney, you can take up a heading on track to ORIST from GWC, which will keep you out of the Portsmouth danger areas and clear of the airway R41, which has a ceiling of FL035.

Get a traffic service to ORIST from plymouth Mil, and they'll hand you over to Jersey Zone for your SVFR transit.

There was a NOTAM out about the Jersey zone earlier in the year saying that you needed to give 24 hrs notice, as they were bedding in a new radar??? or some such, so worth speaking to them to find out what is now needed.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Fuji Abound
7th Mar 2011, 12:45
The only thing to add is that unless you are in a twin I guess it always makes sense to minimise the sea leg - that being the base you can route from St Catherine's point direct to ORIST without either worrying about the danger area or the airway with just about an unlimited vertical profile.

That has always been my preferred route.

neilgeddes
7th Mar 2011, 13:11
Thank you both. :O

From another thread: "Orist is not shown on the VFR chart but exists in most aviation GPS databases as an IFR waypoint ... ORIST is 6.2nm East of ORTAC and thus 1.2nm outside of the airway".

Does anyone have a lat - long please?

Stupid of me - it's in the AIP!

ORIST 500000N 0015042W

wsmempson
7th Mar 2011, 13:29
Hey - good luck and enjoy! It's a relatively straightforward flight, albeit with some radio work that is a little bit more involved than usual. If you're in that part of the world, Luc and Edith who run the restaurant at Cherbourg do a really terrific steak or Andouillette frites and are well worth a 20 minute detour on the way back. You also then sidestep the 12 hrs special branch notice, given that you are inbound from the EU instead of the Channel Islands...:)

neilgeddes
7th Mar 2011, 13:49
Thanks wsmempson.

Jersey ATC say PPR for SVFR isn't required any more. (Must see if I can get more acronyms into my sentences...)

wsmempson
7th Mar 2011, 13:54
Cool - they must have got used to their new radar setup (or whatever it was).

neilgeddes
10th Mar 2011, 15:33
Just a quick update to say that Plymouth Mil were very helpful and granted crossing clearances both ways KATHY - GARMI. Good flying.

I did encounter my first experience of airframe icing though! Crossing the channel southbound at FL060 in between light cloud with OAT around -2 deg C. There was a visible layer of ice forming on the leading wing edges. I had to descend to 3500' to see it melt off...

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2011, 19:05
Only just came across this thread, so my comments are a bit after the fact.... but I wanted to add that I've always found Plymouth Mil incredibly helpful.

Last week, for example, there was low cloud over the whole of the south of England, but it was clear over the sea, and I was doing a stalling exercise. I asked permission to operate in the danger areas, and they told me which were active and which weren't... then, as I continued the exercise, they updated me when more airspace became available to me. Excellent service!

I have had crossings denied when danger areas have been live, but that pretty much goes without saying.

FFF
--------------