PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Landings ?!?

Maverfic
10th Feb 2001, 21:31
This is Instructor "Patter" for which I have failed to find an explanation. Can anyone tell me what I can do to correct a "Chinese" Landing technique?

Golf-Kilo Victor
11th Feb 2001, 19:49
what the hell is a "Chinese" landing?

GKV

Papa Mike
11th Feb 2001, 20:19
I am intriqued; what is a "Chinese" landing?

Do tell......!

Yogi-Bear
11th Feb 2001, 21:10
HaHa or should I say HeHe,

I've heard of "fly like snake" but chinese landings has got me intrigued. Do let us into the secret.

------------------
Yaberdaberdoo. It's OK Boo-Boo.

[This message has been edited by Yogi-Bear (edited 11 February 2001).]

Maverfic
12th Feb 2001, 20:01
Thanks for the interest Gents. When I find out what one is you'll be the second to know. I was hoping it was something to do with grease, but I'm beginning to lose hope of ever finding out.
Someone must know!

SLF
12th Feb 2001, 21:19
Ah so! Chinese Landing half way up Chinese Stairs...

I'll apologise now, saves time later!

------------------
29A please!

HugMonster
12th Feb 2001, 23:02
Perhaps it's something do to with the runway - 13 comes with noodles, but 31 with special fried rice? :)

Ceppo
13th Feb 2001, 16:39
Is it not when half the passengers leave the aircraft horribly burnt and the others horribly wet?

Yogi-Bear
13th Feb 2001, 18:04
Is this what your landings look like?
A man suspected his wife of seeing another man. So, he hired a famous Chinese detective, Ram Pam Sim Wimm, to watch and report any activities that might develop.
A few days later, he received this report:

Most honorable sir,

You leave house.
He come house.
I watch.
He and she leave house.
I follow.
He and she get on train.
I follow.
He and she go in hotel.
I climb tree – look in window.
He kiss she.
She kiss he.
He strip she.
She strip he.
He play with she.
She play with he.
I play with me.
Fall out of tree.
No fee.
Hee Hee.

------------------
Yaberdaberdoo. It's OK Boo-Boo.

[This message has been edited by Yogi-Bear (edited 13 February 2001).]

Luftwaffle
13th Feb 2001, 23:34
I found a few definitions:

A WWII AVIATION SLANGUAGE page at
http://www.303rdbga.com/slanguage.html
says it is a landing with "One Wing Low."

"Selected National/Ethnic Stereotype Expressions" at http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US8/PC/estereo.html
says: "Chinese landing -- clumsy or disastrous, cf mythical pilot Won Wing Low"

Destroyers Online glossary http://www.plateau.net/usndd/glossary/c.html
says: "Chinese landing -- When a boat is brought along-side a ship "bow to stern" rather than the accepted (traditional?)"bow to bow"."

I was going to guess that it was a landing made solely in order to swap pilots between front and back seats, a "Chinese fire drill" being when a car stops at a red light, the doors open, and occupants run around the car in order to switch seats before the light turns green.

There is also a place called Chinese Landing in Guyana, South America, which, being on a river, is probably the place where some Chinese explorers pulled their boat ashore.

It looks like the first one would be what an instructor wanted to correct. To answer the question:

* point out that the cowling is sloped, so lining it up with the horizon will drop a wing
* have the student practice straight and level in the landing attitude in slow flight * talk them through a few, with a long final so they can set up well, jumping on them the moment a wing started to drop
* show them a picture of a 747 scraping a pod (so they can see why it might matter)
* ensure they are trimming well so that they are not holding pressure on the yoke on final (if they are, by the time they get to the flare the arm is tired and it drops, dropping the left wing).

[This message has been edited by Luftwaffle (edited 13 February 2001).]

Maverfic
14th Feb 2001, 02:56
Luftwaffle, you are clearly a Gentleman and a scholar: a true Teutonic knight of the air. Not only may I now land in Dynamic Equilibrium but I've gone and sorted out my Destroyer Parking etiquette as well. I cannot thank you enough.
Cheers to Yogi Bear,you're more honest and less expensive than marriage guidance.

M

HugMonster
14th Feb 2001, 03:31
Further to the "Chinese Fire Drill", I also know of a "Caribbean Fire Drill". This consists in the car pulling up the the lights, and everyone but the driver getting out and running. This is normally because the driver has just announced to the passengers what he intends to do next! :)