PDA

View Full Version : what to choose, what to choose???

DK08
6th Mar 2011, 07:35
Hi guys.

I know i don't do my nav training till september, but the question of which aircraft to use has been really bugging me. I've got the choice of a 172 or a warrior. Would love to hear the pros and cons of both aircraft.

Thanks,
Daniel

Clare Prop
6th Mar 2011, 07:38
Would you learn to drive in a Ford or a Holden?

Both good aircraft, just fly the one you feel most comfortable in!

Speedbird 9
6th Mar 2011, 07:51
Go the mighty PA28!

The Green Goblin
6th Mar 2011, 07:55
The cheapest aeroplane with the best instructor!

Ando1Bar
6th Mar 2011, 08:31
Fly a Cessna if you intend to fly a high-wing like a Dash 8. Fly a Warrior if you want to work for Virgin or Jetstar because the low-wing characteristics are just like a jet. You can't get too much practice!

The Green Goblin
6th Mar 2011, 08:36
Fly a Cessna if you intend to fly a high-wing like a Dash 8. Fly a Warrior if you want to work for Virgin or Jetstar because the low-wing characteristics are just like a jet. You can't get too much practice!

I hope you're taking the piss!!!

If not, that is the most stupid thing I have read on here :D

27/09
6th Mar 2011, 08:39
WTF? It doesn't f:mad:ing matter.

I would choose the PA28 as it teaches you better fuel management and the need to better manage your energy on approach as you don't have barn door flaps to fix your f:mad:k ups if your are a bit high or fast.

Macchi 408
6th Mar 2011, 08:39
Fly a Warrior if you want to work for Virgin or Jetstar because the low-wing characteristics are just like a jet.

LOL! :yuk:

It's personal preference, I'd go with the PA28.

rmcdonal
6th Mar 2011, 08:54
Are you going through to CPL? If so you should have a go at both.

Fly a Warrior if you want to work for Virgin or Jetstar because the low-wing characteristics are just like a jet. Lol :E

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Mar 2011, 08:59
In the '172' at least...you are flying (sometimes) in the shade.....

And the 'glare' off the 'usually' white wing of the PA.28 can cause you to 'close one eye' when heading north with a setting sun....although when learning, you would be far too 'busy' for that....(?)

They are both stable acft for the purposes of the navex - I have instructed in both - I may prefer the PA.28 because of its slightly more 'solid handling nature'....but when it all boils down...like 'CP' said...Holden or Falcon..??

On a hot day in Turb., the '172' may 'float more' up and down....whilst the PA.28 just 'bumps thru' up & down.....

Final analysis...it doesn't really matter...IMHO..!!:ok:

Which aircraft do YOU prefer..?? :ok::ok:

DK08
6th Mar 2011, 09:03
Thanks for the advice.
I'm going all the way for a CPL. My instructor told me today that if I use a warrior it would help me be more familiar with an Archer rather than a 182 for my CPL so i can go in a plane with retractable gear. Another advantage i guess :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Mar 2011, 09:11
Hi 'DK',

And the requirements for the CPL are.....??

CSU / Retractable / Speed req..?

Which are U most comfortable in..?????

There's yr answer..!!:ok::ok:

Trent 972
6th Mar 2011, 09:12
Ando - Best p!sstake of the year, so far. :ok:

I would have suggested young Daniel should choose the aircraft with the engine most likely to sh!t itself, so that he was training towards being an A380 driver.

DK08
6th Mar 2011, 09:18
Good Call Trent 972. I'm more of a Boeing guy though.....

FRQ Charlie Bravo
6th Mar 2011, 09:32
Trent,

That was an absolute pearler.

Every little anti-Boeing reply I have to that pales in comparison and is therefore not funny.

Ando's pisstake was great too.

DK,

I would say that you should get the best of both worlds.

Who cares about how easy the transition is (maybe an extra 0.2 in the air???)? If you will be doing CPL in a Piper then do PPL in a Cessna or something else. Also ask yourself how many tickets you are going to get (Retrac, tailwheel etc); maybe that will convince you to look further afield to spend the same dough and get more bang! (Wish I'd done PPL in a taildragger but as boutique aircraft they were all too expensive; ie Cap 10, Chippy etc. I think that ACFT do it in a Scout or Decathlon.)

FRQ CB

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Mar 2011, 09:46
A N D .... IF ya wanna do a 'tail drag' endo.....Just PM ME!!

Its in Perth though..!!

BUT...IT IS a 'Nice' Chippy..:D:D

K3nnyboy
8th Mar 2011, 04:46
I'd prefer the PA-28 myself, the C172 seems to "float" around from time to time as mentioned above.

but yea, the only thing I dont like about the PA28 is the manual flap. :p

Exaviator
8th Mar 2011, 05:44
I know i don't do my nav training till september,

Young Man, it will not make any difference which aircraft you fly, the object of the exercise is to demonstrate that you have mastered the art of navigation.

However, if you have to choose, I would suggest the Cessna, being a high wing aircraft it affords slightly better visibility below the aircraft and make it easier to identify your check points. :ok:

brad_nz90
8th Mar 2011, 08:17
Id go with a 172. most likely your first pilot job will be flying cessna

Ando1Bar
8th Mar 2011, 11:04
Ok, time for a serious answer from me.

My preference for navigation is the C172. Flying around Queensland the high wing provided more shade, the air vents are better (in your face, not at your feet) and you've got big windows to open when taxiing around. The high wings make it easier to confirm ground features, however low wings are not too bad if you're looking ahead (which you should be doing during a decent nav cycle).

The PA28 does teach you better fuel management. However, it's not rocket science learning to switch tanks.

Performance and endurance are very similar - only around 7 to18 litres difference in usable fuel from memory. The rest comes down to what feels best for you. I liked the position of the throttle and trim when I first started flying Pipers. Initially I preferred a PA28 over a C172N, but the more modern C172 R or S(P) models are more comfortable to fly and I would prefer one of these over a Piper.

One last consideration - which type has more availability once you finish your PPL? No point doing all of your flying in Cessnas if the Piper is the only one available on a weekend when you want to fly it.

Mr. Hat
8th Mar 2011, 19:26
Long term it won't really matter.

Short term go for the cheapest.

172 slight advantage if you are going up north as most of the station/scenic/charter is done in the Cessna types.

Overall I'd say go the cheapest.

I forgot to mention. Try and get an instructor that has experience and is not a fresh graduate him/herself. Try and get someone that will teach you rather than see you as another hour in the log book. I'd pay extra for that not for the type.

Those hours spent learning are very few. Try to make them count. Try to learn rather than tick the box.

bentleg
8th Mar 2011, 19:53
I know i don't do my nav training till september, but the question of which aircraft to use has been really bugging me. I've got the choice of a 172 or a warrior. Would love to hear the pros and cons of both aircraft.

Already done to death in other threads. A search brings up this (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/442536-plane-change-befor-ppl.html) and this (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/433734-flight-lesson-aircraft.html) and this (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/260545-c152-pa28-your-thoughts-2.html).

Xcel
8th Mar 2011, 22:28
Agree with previous posts...

The one which has the best instructor next to you... If it's the same school the whichever is cheapest... If same price whichever is closer to the final aircraft for your cpl... And if you still have a choice of 172/182rg or arrow for the cpl... Then go the cessna - it's closer to what you will fly in your first job...

Ando1Bar
9th Mar 2011, 00:35
And if you still have a choice of 172/182rg or arrow for the cpl... Then go the cessna

Don't fly a C172RG (gutless Cutlass) - they're rubbish!

Tankengine
9th Mar 2011, 04:27
Compared to an Arrow?:confused:

Ando1Bar
9th Mar 2011, 05:08
Yep. More performance in an Arrow and never came across a landing gear that would get stuck half-way.

DK08
9th Mar 2011, 05:49
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.
I guess i'll have to just get a feel of both aircraft and see which i prefer. Its just that the question of which has just been ringing in my head for weeks!