PDA

View Full Version : A320 Fadec Fault

MD83FO
6th Mar 2011, 05:28
ECAM actions

if engine failure confirmed :
shut down engine. end

but what if system pages show no anomaly and there is no thrust asymmetry
hence engine will run for the time being.

or must a fadec fault always lead to an engine shutdown.

thanks.

hetfield
6th Mar 2011, 10:59
Oh it's long ago...

But I would say

if engine failure confirmed !So if not confirmed, don't shut it down.

toby320
6th Mar 2011, 14:18
Hi, not always a fadec fault lead you to an engine shutdown, you must verify other sistems to confirm the engine condition and evaluate if you can continue with that engine or not.

Regards.

Toby.:ok:

MD83FO
7th Mar 2011, 06:16
the FCOM does not explain what happens to the engine when the fadec fails.
is the fuel flow frozen?
how safe is it to keep the engine running for a while?
and the QRH leaves the option open.

on the simulator the engine keeps running normally, no thrust asymmetry.

Papa2Charlie
7th Mar 2011, 06:29
Not sure about the A320 but on other FADEC types, if the unit loses comms with the airframe, then it will freeze the fuel flow at flight idle.

Dani
7th Mar 2011, 06:58
It depends on the fault the Fadec encounters:

A Fadec is a high sophisticated (well...) computer that has self protections and self tests circuitry and software code implemented. If the Fadec think's it cannot cope anymore, it will hand over to the backup chanel and/or to the other Fadec. If all of them think they are unable to control the engine, they will shut it down.

There are a lot of other minor faults, that don't lead to a shut down and hence show a maintenance or ECAM fault, while still showing all engine data on the E/WD.

hth,
Dani

Torque2
7th Mar 2011, 08:21
So, to answer the question. If the engine remains running then keep it running. If you want to find out if the fuel flow is frozen then move the thrust lever and see what happens. If you don't like what happens then shut it down. ;)

Microburst2002
7th Mar 2011, 14:06
Very interesting question.

But we have to find out more about it.

Can you (or the FMGC) control thrust on an engine without FADEC? Looks like affirmative, since there are no INOP systems. This is very odd. So I think that in most cases this warning will be accompanied by an ENG FAIL caution.

These engines don't have any backup hidromechanic engine control. Without FADEC the engine will not work.

I think the procedure is to confirm if the engine has failed, thus confirming that the FADEC is indeed failed. IF CONFIRMED, after engine shut down procedure. If it is still working, the FADEC is not lost. Something else is going on. Don't shut down before finding out what's going on.

I'll take a look at the FCOMs to refresh my memory.

IFixPlanes
7th Mar 2011, 17:40
The FADEC is not a computer. It is a system.
If you lost the comtrol over the engine or only loose some protections/indications depends on what part of the system fails.
For example the system of the CFM56:
The FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) system consists of a dual channel
EEC (Engine Electronic Control Unit) and the peripherals that follow:
● Hydromechanical Unit (HMU)
● Dedicated ECU Alternator (PMA)
● VSV and VBV, HPTACC, LPTACC, RACC systems
● Start System
● T/R System
● Oil/Fuel Temperature Control
● Engine Sensors
● Electrical Harness

reubenjosephdsouza
7th Mar 2011, 19:19
each fadec is made up of 2 channels (a) and (b) , both do the same job.

at a given point of time only i ch is active and the other is stby.

if u have a fadec fault - then both ch or the same fadec have failed due to some event.

NOW The Eng Page will show no data , may be amber xxx /erounous data, the only ways is to check wth supporting pages on other system , bt generally since the fadec is the only link between man v/s machine(aircraft -airframe and engines) we have lost most of the interaction between the eng and supportng system , hence resulting in an engine failure not due to eng problems(STALL/SUGRE orthe engine dropping off the wing!) but due to a dual ch.FADEC fault..hence the eng chekclist calls for checking parameters and then shutting down of the eninge assuming an engine failure.

some causes of engine failure may include:

• Engine Flame out /LOSS OF FUEL TO ENG
• Engine Fire/---PHYSICAL ENG DAMAGE DUE TO FIRE
• FADEC Fault ----LOSS OF BOTH FADEC CHANNELS
• Fuel Control Unit Failure/ NUTTIN TO FONTROL FF TO ENG
• Over limit /REV UP THE ENG TO ITS MAX OVER SHOOT LIMIT AND GET THINGS FRIED INSIDE

• REV Unlocked
• Engine Stall
• Engine Damage

AS mantioned by IFIXPLANES, the fadec is not one computer it is an entire system b its slef that is made up of various small computers controlled and monitored by the fadec channels working together for engine monitoring and performance optimization and hence failure of any one /set of component may lead to engine failure and call for an engine shutdown or and auto shutdown.

wellthis is jus my little understanding of this fault, ..may be there is much more to know about it..but neways this is way i can think of ..open to more data always ....

happy landings!
r.