PDA

View Full Version : PPL(A) but wants to fly Weightshift...

AJ1990
5th Mar 2011, 17:55
Does anybody out there hold a PPL(A) but flys a Weightshift Microlight aswell? I have the luxury of living on a farm with farmstrip potential and the prospect of keeping a little microlight locked up in the barn is intriguing me. I want to give all aspects of GA a bash and I think Microlights mite be on the hit list next :}. I also like the idea of a kit built 3 axis but cost is a factor here so for the mean time it will have to be Flexwings .

The only issue I have is the opposite control inputs. I've never flown a microlight but everytime I go through the process in my mind I concerningly confuse the 'pull back - cows get smaller' thought process of a C152. My limited knowledge of Human Factors tells me that pilots have a habit of regressing to what they're used to in emergency situations and I'm not convinced that I'll overcome the difference. Can anybody shed some light on the transition between the two and possibly flying both micros and fixed wing at the same time? Would it be too much to expect a fresh PPL(A) to transition so early after gaining his license and then freely switch between the two?

Secondly - I intend on going down the flight instruction route with my PPL(A) but the thought of microlight instruction has crossed my mind. Is a dual qualified instructor unheard of?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jucky
5th Mar 2011, 19:33
I fly Group A in old money, both 3 axis and flexwing microlights and helicopters, I have never had any problems with control inputs in any of them. It is better to do a conversion whilst you have relatively few hours, that way the control input of each type isn't ingrained yet, making it easier to convert. I started out in 3 axis microlights, then Group A, then flexwings and finally helicopters. I converted to flexwing at around the 300 hour mark. The younger you are the better, as you should find it easier to learn new skills.
The secret is to not think about it too hard and just do it, too many people think about it too much and find it more difficult.
Flexwings are great fun and I thoroughly recommend it to anybody, I haven't flown one for a while but that's mainly because I own a light aircraft and can't afford a flexwing as well, but if I could, I would.
Obviously this all depends on your natural aptitude for flying some have it some don't. But the younger you are with less hours the easier you should find it to convert

There have been a few instructors who are qualified to instruct on both light aircraft and microlights although I don't know if any did flexwing. Haven't been around the microlighting fraternity for awhile but I am sure there probably still are a few dual qualified instructors around.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Furner
5th Mar 2011, 19:44
I doubt that the risk of control confusion can ever be totally eliminated when moving between any aircraft. There will always be some negative transfer of training between the two. Aircraft are not all the same; and a good thing this is too. It makes them much more useful and interesting to fly. However, I would have thought that good training and planning for the possibility of control confusion should manage it down to a negligible level. Isn’t this why we have difference training? You don’t pass a PPL on a C152 and then just hop into a Harrier jump jet to go and show off your new flying skills to the next door neighbors. There are a few critical training steps needed in between.

You are clearly aware of the potential confusion and interestingly already working on it if you are mentally going through the control input sequences and attempting to clarify them so as to avoid this error.

An issue might want to consider is the need to keep both licenses current. Time on the weightshift will not be taken into account for your PPL(A) license currency. If you have very easy access to a weightshift you might be struggling to find time to get to the airfield and book a flight on light aircraft to keep your PPL(A) license current.

AJ1990
5th Mar 2011, 21:24
Stephen Furner - I have to admit I have a real fascination with human factors in relation to flying. I think a good understanding in human defence mechanisms is a powerful tool for pilots and one that is underrated. Humans and machines are very different - the a/c you fly is purpose designed for the job. Humans on the other hand, well we're more driven by basic needs I think . As for the harrier - if anyone's offering I'll glady ablidge ;).

Jucky - I think your living my dream! I'm not entirely convinced by heli's yet they make me a tad nervous for some reason. Saying that though I find the level of skill required to fly them a challenge I'd like to accept at some point - not just yet though. Was your initial aim from the offset to become conversant with all that flying had to offer or was it a progressive thing? I'm yet to meet anyone who isn't blinkered to a single category of flying so it makes a refreshing read.

Is there a case to be made that flying various types/categories makes you a more skilled pilot? I can't make my mind up. One part of me says there's a risk of control confusion whilst the other says it's all good experience (and prehaps slightly more fun :))

patowalker
6th Mar 2011, 08:29
I caused some hilarity by fish-tailing down the runway before getting used to pushing left to go left, after all those years of pushing right to go left and vice-versa.

Jucky
6th Mar 2011, 11:59
Jucky - I think your living my dream! I'm not entirely convinced by heli's yet they make me a tad nervous for some reason. Saying that though I find the level of skill required to fly them a challenge I'd like to accept at some point - not just yet though. Was your initial aim from the offset to become conversant with all that flying had to offer or was it a progressive thing? I'm yet to meet anyone who isn't blinkered to a single category of flying so it makes a refreshing read.

I wouldn't say it was a specific aim as such but something that happened along the way. I started out on microlights and ended up flying military helicopters for a living. I have flown many different types of aircraft so far, they are all different and all are fun. Don't be blinkered into flying one type of aircraft there are many different forms of flying out there and they are all fun in their own way. You will also learn more from flying different types and become a better airman for it. You may find that you prefer one specific type of flying and stick with it or you may find that you like different types flying. Personally, I love to fly anything I can get my hands on.

Is there a case to be made that flying various types/categories makes you a more skilled pilot? I can't make my mind up. One part of me says there's a risk of control confusion whilst the other says it's all good experience (and prehaps slightly more fun )

Definitely. Flying different types will make you more skilled, knowledgeable and make your airmanship better as you will have a better understanding of what other pilots might be trying to achieve in their aircraft. Don't worry about the control confusion thing, it's really a non issue. Some people struggle with it, others don't, the only way to find out is to give it a go! I suggest you find a microlight instructor who teaches both flexwing and 3-axis microlights, they will understand the problems of converting from one to the other better than anyone. Take a look at the BMAA website, they should have a list of schools in the UK and you should be able to find one near you with an instructor who teaches both types.

Hope this helps.

Jucky:ok: