PDA

View Full Version : gyros

bayblade
5th Mar 2011, 04:28
hi,
i find it very difficult to imagine the working of the gyros in the aircraft.
can someone point a good link which explains the working with some animation? also an animation on INS and IRS system would be of great help.
thanks.

SeniorEagle
5th Mar 2011, 05:21
Stick a gyro in your head and go stand in front of a mirror. This will be a good start.

proxus
5th Mar 2011, 08:28
Try HowStuffWorks - Learn How Everything Works! (http://www.howstuffworks.com) or similar sites. Then there's a good site for these kind of questions: Google (http://www.google.com)

Just try a little digging, I haven't found any site which has it all on gyros.

bayblade
5th Mar 2011, 09:36
@eagle, is that how you learnt about gyros??!
lol..i wonder how did you mange the pitot-static, the hydraulics,the aerodynamics...and other such stuff..!!

lomapaseo
5th Mar 2011, 12:17
Here's somethin I just discovered while trouble shooting my computer

I have one of those SATA harddrive caddys tried swapping out some hardrives back and forth (computer was finished wrting).

When I picked the hardrive up and tried to place it on the desk I suddenly found it too heavy to manuever by my fingers. Turns out the workings inside were still spinning (7200 Rpm) and it acted like a gyro.

I suppose that you could try putting one under your hat and then attempt to look up or down

BOAC
5th Mar 2011, 12:32
This is a fantastic video for you YouTube - What is a Gyroscope? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_SUvPAOSs&NR=1&feature=fvwp)

In deference to Jetblast I offer this short clip of a multi-gyros platform. YouTube - GYROS..... this is the real thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arw37UasOSo&feature=related)

Rivet gun
5th Mar 2011, 13:46
When I was at school (a long time ago) they used to invite visiting lecturers to provide us with inspiration. One of these was a chap called Prof. Eric Laithwaite who gave a lecture on gyroscopes. His party piece was to lift a very heavy gyro over his head with one hand, a feat which would have been quite impossible if it were not spinning.

Out of curiosity I searched u tube to see if there was still any record of this, and sure enough:

YouTube - Eric Laithwaite - gyroscopic gravity modification.mov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHlAJ7vySC8&NR=1)

There's more of Laithwaite's gyro lectures on u tube, though I seem to remember the lecture he gave to us A level students was rather more mathematical than the ones aimed at younger kids.

YouTube - Eric Laithwaite's lecture on gyroscopes part 2/7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-TOePv0Rig&feature=related)

lomapaseo
5th Mar 2011, 14:33
That 40 pound wheel spinning at 2500 RPM reminded me of a shock I got many years Ago.

just like that and its fixings broke and it fell to the floor shaft first with the disk on top. It just sat there apparently precisely balanced and motionless except for a slight perceptive wobble. *I reached over to pick it up and only then noticed that it was still spinning like mad. So I decided to knock it over with a long pole

Big Mistake!

Try it with a bicycle wheel and see what happens when you strike the tyre with a 2 x 4

JuergenP
5th Mar 2011, 19:03
Yeah Lomp Thats the thing. They can't map that at all with known physics. Plenty of energy but no mass...

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2011, 06:44
Poor old Eric went through a bad time over the lecture at the Royal Society. It was the only lecture ever, that didn't get published.

Shame, I so liked his enthusiasm.

Mr Optimistic
6th Mar 2011, 07:13
I was at Imperial at the time, in the physics dept. His theory about the need for a new force went down a treat. Bl**dy electrical engineers, they never could do the maths.

paulg
6th Mar 2011, 09:03
So it wasn't Donald Duck's friend Gyro Gearloose who first defied gravity after all. I am devastated.

Rivet gun
6th Mar 2011, 09:54
Well you can't violate conservation of momentum, linear or angular, so I think I was a bit suspicious about gyroscopic levitation even at the time. He quoted the Bible:

From Ezekiel chapter 1 (New International Version)

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around. 19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose.

Mr Optimistic
6th Mar 2011, 12:24
I'll just go and Check what Charley Sheen has to say on the subject, if I can get him out of his octagon.

bayblade
6th Mar 2011, 13:18
the videos are great.
thanks for the link:ok:

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2011, 16:21
Bl**dy electrical engineers, they never could do the maths.

The thing is, we're very comfortable with these tried and trusted theories, but it's a bit like Newtonian gravity, compared with Einstein's insight into what is really happening.

I know General Relativity only takes us just so far, but this is the point.

Now we're looking at the possibilities of a universe that is a very specific fabric, the ultimate? parts being calculated at ten to the minus sixty-six.

Such a universe may account for the power of its unpacking acceleration and indeed, be its own Missing Mass.

Back to Eric. The cost to him was horrific, with Lithium just about saving his clinically depressed mind. It's strange how in history, people like him have had insights that can't be accounted for - gut feelings - and when they're long gone, proved right. No math, just feelings. I for one wouldn't be surprised if gyros are a tiny beacon pointing towards a very different theory of everything.

mike-wsm
10th Mar 2011, 08:00
Bl**dy electrical engineers, they never could do the maths.
In a field where the square root of minus one has universal significance, electrical engineers can do the maths with virtual numbers involving complex conjugates yet usually end up with a real result. Who says we can't do maths?

photofly
10th Mar 2011, 19:51
Back to Eric. ... I for one wouldn't be surprised if gyros are a tiny beacon pointing towards a very different theory of everything.I'd be astonished. He spouted a complete load of drivel. There was nothing in anything he demonstrated that wasn't entirely consistent with Newtonian mechanics.

Mr Optimistic
12th Mar 2011, 15:37
Inertial navigation systems with ... - Google Books (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YRaCD-JHsecC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inertial+navigation+systems+with+geodetic+applications&source=bl&ots=0O7L5-Ze_J&sig=COUsjsaAvSUt6sKM3wAz7CBtNAM&hl=en&ei=uaB7TdrZIJC5hAeZsrn9Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAw)

edit: blimey, just looked at it in more detail: fast forward to 3.2.1

FlightPathOBN
12th Mar 2011, 20:09
Modern aircraft use laser gyros, which have no moving parts......

mono
12th Mar 2011, 20:57
Modern aircraft use l@ser gyros, which have no moving parts......

Yes they do! each RLG has a dither motor fitted to prevent laser lock.