PDA

View Full Version : Heading north

Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake
10th Feb 2001, 06:47
I'm a commercial pilot who's heading up to Darwin in late March to find some work.

I've got 650 hours total time (85 twin).
I'll have a current M/E instrument rating when I leave.

Just wanting to hear about other pilots experiences working in the north and/or advice they may have about finding work.

pistnbroke
10th Feb 2001, 15:30
You may get lucky,(I havn't yet) be prpared to wait, and get yourself a fill in job. I have simmilar hours and have had no joy.Be prepared for some knock backs, sure you will get plenty of them.

Most places require you to spend a season or so out 'bush' if you get a start. Try other places on the way (Jabiru, Oenpelli, ect).

I am in the same position so I would appreciate any other wisdom. Also try onthe aussi forum, I am sure there is a thread on jobs up north

Good luck (we all need it)

redsnail
11th Feb 2001, 13:30
Best have a search on the Dununda forum when it isn't locked. There are plenty of threads about it.
Don't expect a lot and be prepared to move. 650 hours is good but not that great for Darwin. 650 hours is good for Kakadu, Kununurra and Broome and other such places.
What are your hours on? C206 time is good. If no time on those, then be prepared to wait a bit. March is getting "late" so I would be very smart as to who you approach.
Use the yellow pages online to find out where the scenic/charter operators are. You may be lucky and score a twin job in Darwin but don't count on it.
good luck