PDA

View Full Version : TSA Clearance and M1-Visa Question

HighFlyer75
4th Mar 2011, 19:36
Hi All,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this based on your experience. If I am already in the USA under the visa waiver program and I have previously completed the necessary training for an FAA PPL, would I be able to do the flight test without needing an M1 or TSA clearance?

I did my JAA PPL in the USA in October last year and at the time I intended getting a stand-alone FAA PPL. I did all the training for the FAA PPL to meet the night and extra manoeuvre requirements but I had to leave before I could do the flight test (weather delays and I couldn't extend my stay). I am now back in the USA and I am starting to look into the stand-alone FAA PPL again. I have a piggy back licence but feel that a stand-alone would serve me better in the long run.

My thoughts are that the TSA and M1 are primarily required for flight training purposes. In this case I wouldn't be doing flight training as such, I would just be organising to do the flight test directly (based of course on the assumption that my flying is up to scratch - which I believe it is).

I realise it's a bit of a stretch and if I have to I will get the TSA clearance and visa. I was just hoping to avoid it if possible. If anybody has any experience with something like this, please let me know.

Cheers,
HF

patowalker
4th Mar 2011, 20:21
I think you will first need to comply with FAR 61.109 (a) (4): 3 hours of flight training in preparation for the practical test in a single-engine airplane, which must be performed within 60 days preceding the date of the test.

HighFlyer75
4th Mar 2011, 21:38
Thanks for the replies. Seems like applying for a new visa and TSA is my only option. Just as an FYI, looking through the FAR I am covered for everything except the 3 hours of prep training within 2 months of the test :-)

On the theory side, I completed the FAA written in October and I am up to speed on the prep for the oral exam as I was prepared for it on my previous trip and I have been reading through and refreshing my knowledge again over the last few weeks.

I guess for now I will just have to enjoy some pleasure flying and start the application process again. Seems like I will be back and forth between Europe, USA and the Bahamas quite a bit over the next 6 months so still worth looking into the stand-alone FAA PPL.

HighFlyer75
5th Mar 2011, 02:15
I am not in the UK and won't be for for the foreseeable future. I am currently in the Bahamas and will be in Florida after that. Won't be back in Europe till May and even then it will only be Ireland and Sweden for a few weeks before coming back to the USA. The joys of my job. So doing it at some stage while in the USA still seems like the best option even with the hassle of M1 and TSA.