PDA

View Full Version : australian reply to questions about simulating a 777 ditching

lynn789
2nd Mar 2011, 21:42
On behalf of the Director of Aviation Safety thank you very much for your email.Aircraft crews are required to undertake annual proficiency checks, which are set out in Civil Aviation Order 20.11. These proficiency checks include ditching and must cover, among other things, the fitting and location of life jackets and the removal from stowage, launch and inflation of life rafts.

From an aircraft handling perspective, pilots of regular public transport category aircraft, such as those used by airlines for long-haul over water operations, are required to undertake a flight proficiency test at least once every fifteen months during which the pilot must demonstrate competency in the application of emergency procedures, including that of ditching. These requirements are set out in Civil Aviation Order 40.1.5. Competency may be assessed by a CASA authorised person through oral questioning or by demonstration. Specifically, pilots are required to demonstrate competency within their company's cyclic training program in the application of the ditching checklist for the aircraft type they are endorsed to operate.

While a flight simulator may be used to practice and demonstrate competency in the application of ditching procedures and their associated checklist, the simulator is not normally required to provide a level of fidelity in simulating the actual touchdown of the aircraft in a ditching scenario. Although the simulator may not simulate the actual touchdown, the techniques and factors to consider for the touchdown in a ditching scenario are covered in the aircraft flight manual.

I am unable to comment on the US Airways Flight 1549 accident. The accident report released by the US National Transportation Safety Board does not make it clear if the ditching push button was activated.

Feather #3
3rd Mar 2011, 22:51
Pretty good answer. In 40 years airline ops, I think I did the Ditching Checklist once over 3 different types.

However, it was a great answer!!:E

G'day

411A
3rd Mar 2011, 22:57
A complete waste of time, except...for once each ten years, or so.
Years ago, the folks in OZ-land required all runway available for takeoff to be reduced by 150 feet, to allow for a 'line-up maneuver.'
Loony then, loony now.
Nothing changes.:yuk: