PDA

View Full Version : nice city to live around stansted

Rien
11th May 2001, 18:14
Hi There

Whitin a couple of weeks time i will start working from London Stansted. Can somebody give me advise about a nice city between Luton and Stansted. Have heard about stevenage.

Thanks

Skunkworks
12th May 2001, 00:09
...does anyone have the phonenumber for the Topless Playmates Free Pizza Delivery Service?

Speedbird252
12th May 2001, 02:17
hi my friend, Stevenage is a dump, dont go there. Not sure where the best place is, but stevenage aint it.
Good luck.

Speedbird252
12th May 2001, 02:22
hey skunks, got it here somewhere......

call for push....!

Captain Noodle
12th May 2001, 05:07
Rien,

Mate, I am an Ozzie, but spent two years living in a place called Royston, about 20 minutes south of Stansted, Stevenage is a dump, about 15 more minutes further south. Royston is on the train line, so London is a mere 45 minute ride away, if you really want to go there! Had a great time in Royston, made lots of friends. Check it out, reasonably small country town, ten pubs though. If you visit, call into the Boars Head on Market Hill. Tell em Eric from Oz said to say hello, and get Dennis to shout you a pint, (for pointing you in the direction of his pub).

Cheers
Noodle

[This message has been edited by Captain Noodle (edited 12 May 2001).]

The geography in this post is completely wrong. See Tailscrape's post further on.

Oooops Noodle

[This message has been edited by Captain Noodle (edited 14 May 2001).]

AC-DC
12th May 2001, 14:45
Welwyn Garden City is a nice place to be. Try to avoid parts of Panshanger and some areas near the QE-2 hospital.
Good luck

Pdub
12th May 2001, 15:35
Stevanage noooooo, famous for a football team that has a ground so bad it was denied promotion, and a town centre that makes you think "hmmm that clock tower , I could go up there and go postal, its what this town needs" Hatfield, the same but with students.

JB007
13th May 2001, 14:42
R,

Try out to the East of STN, along the A120....Great Dunmow onwards. There are some very pretty villages in the area..

------------------
A smile is a curve that puts things straight.

tailscrape
13th May 2001, 14:49
Cor blimey Captain Noodle.....

You lived in Royston for 2 years. 20 miles SOUTH of Stansted? I don't think so!! About 20 miles North West it is!!!

Cambridge is the best place. No doubt. Pubs,bars,a few clubs and loads ofbirds.

Oh and excellent access to STN via M11 or A11

Captain Noodle
14th May 2001, 05:42
Tailscrape,

You are so right. I am embarrassed by my gaff. Sorry for the ridiculous geography skills. My excuses are as follows:

1. It was 4 years ago.
2. I wasn't flying then, therefore navigation was'nt something I cared about.
3. Royston has ten pubs and I worked,lived and drank in a few of them, more times then not.
4. Forgot to align the compass with my directional indicator.

Thanks for putting me right, (you were very kind, you could have called me all sorts of things)

But one thing I did get right was that the people at Royston are a very friendly bunch.

Humbly
Noodle

[This message has been edited by Captain Noodle (edited 14 May 2001).]

Cough
14th May 2001, 17:18
Saffron Walden is worth a look, small market town.

C....ough

tailscrape
14th May 2001, 18:08
Dear Noodle,

My pleasure old chap. Glad you loved it in Royston, it is a nice area of the world.

I have made some awful nav gaffes in my time so i will never shout about yours here!! Good reply from you as well. Always blame the boozer!!

Cheers.

ragspanner
14th May 2001, 21:24
Defo' i agree with cough ,Saffron Walden is lovely, there are several nice places enroute to Saffron,for instance the village of Quendon.
Cheers ,
Rags.
P.S. Try looking at Villages,lots of nice ones near STN.

[This message has been edited by ragspanner (edited 14 May 2001).]

Agaricus bisporus
15th May 2001, 20:40
"Nice city"!!!!!!

A tautology, surely?

SFly
16th May 2001, 01:18
Saffron Walden and Bishop's Stortford, as well as their surrounding small villages are a really nice area. I would live there any day. Also, Cambridge is a beautiful, convenient, good place to be.

SFly

kennedy
18th May 2001, 22:52
Royston sounds ok for STN. Is it alright for getting to LTN as well?