PDA

View Full Version : first headset for pilot-in-training

Plasmech
28th Feb 2011, 19:58
I am looking to buy my first headset. The training center has "public" headsets however for sanitary reasons I would like my own....I am kinda weird that way I guess!

I see that there are two basic types of headsets...the older, LARGE, rather bulky full-muff headsets and a more modern looking, much smaller headset that mainly covers just the ear itself and not half the head. Cost ignored, which one is better? I definitely want one with noise cancellation for flying in old 'pistons (even new jets are rather loud with all the electronics running as well as wind noise).

Does anybody have a headset recommendation for a student pilot? I say student cautiously...I am not the type who likes to buy things twice, I'd rather get one that I can use and be happy with well into the future as opposed to an entry-level set that ends of sitting in my closet a year from now after I buy a better one.

I assume that the sets available in Europe are pretty much the same as what we have in the US (?)

RTN11
28th Feb 2011, 21:05
This has rather been done to death, perhaps try searching for old threads.

My opinion is that you can't go wrong with a david clarke, good value, robust, reasonable passive noise reduction.

I believe the plugs are the same for US/EU, two plugs - one fat one for the phones and a thinner one for the mic.

Having said that, there are the NATO plugs used by the military, and possibly another one for helicopters.

taff_lightning
28th Feb 2011, 21:18
Used to work in a large flight school and I'd say that 60% of the guys there used David Clarke's (Inc instructors), 35% avcom and 5% other. I have a set of DC's for light aircraft flying and I certainly have no plans to change them anytime soon.

PlanetEarth
28th Feb 2011, 21:29
My own personal preference is to go directly for a high end headset. You'll probably never exchange it, and I don't put a price tag on my hearing. Any damage to your ears, is irreparable.

For me: Either the Bose, or Lightseed zulu

Plasmech
28th Feb 2011, 21:38
David Clark..thanks for the advice. Yes, in the US, we have two plugs, one slightly larger in diameter than the other one. I assume one is for transmission and one is for reception.

TR24
28th Feb 2011, 21:50
I'd recommend Clarity Aloft, and as you're in the US i believe you can try them for 30 days and return them. They seem expensive for when they are buy i find them much more confortable that the DC's and Sennheisers my flying school has.

Human Factor
28th Feb 2011, 22:09
I would say your options are either to buy a cheap one and upgrade to a DC or whatever later on or spend the money now on a top-end set and stick it on eBay if it doesn't work out in the long run. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Plasmech
4th Mar 2011, 20:21
What is the least expensive David Clark that has active noise cancellation? ENC I believe it's called.

gileraguy
4th Mar 2011, 20:45
you can get a kit to install noise reduction in any DC (i.e.13:10), I can't remember the name but it should be an easy search.

Get a set of phones on ebay if you want to save money, then fit the kit.