PDA

View Full Version : Tops and bottoms/flex

Charley
8th Feb 2001, 16:39
Two numpty questions I'm afraid.

What are tops and bottoms (e.g. 'bottoms full and free' and 'my tops')? Probably a very quick answer to a silly question but I've just never used these terms first hand so far in my training. I could make assumptions but I'd rather ask, and know for sure.

Secondly, I've heard "N1's achieved" and "Flex achieved" during the take-off roll. Do they mean the same thing or is there a subtle difference?

Thanks, I think I've shown my naïvety quite enough now.

SLT
9th Feb 2001, 02:57
Charley

First of all, there is no such thing as a numpty question. If anyone slates you for asking something, then they're probably doing it because they don't know the answer.
This is my understanding of it :

1. "Tops" are the ailerons and elevators - ie the top of the control column.
"bottoms" rather ungrammatically, unless you are flying an F-14 or similar, is the rudder. ie the bottom of the "column" if you like. SO when someone says "bottoms full and free", they are really saying "rudder full and free". Likewise, "my tops" indicates that the person has control of the ailerons and elevators.

2. "N1's acheived" - not a phrase we use in our company, but I would imagine that it means that the N1s (the fans) have acheived the requisite speed for take-off. Some jet engines use EPR, some use N1.
"Flex acheived" - again, not a phrase we use, but on the Airbus, we have a "thrust rating" that the FADEC looks to acheive for take-off. It is basically the required thrust for take-off, given the actual environmental conditions. If you are assuming a flex temperature for a reduced thrust take-off, the FADEC will calculate the requisite thrust rating which corresponds to the flex temp that you have inserted into the FMGS. When the engines acheive this thrust level, you could say "Flex acheived".

This is only my understanding of your questions - others may have better info, but I hope this helps you.

All the Best

SLT :)