PDA

View Full Version : LROPS Operations

Fpetrowitsch
27th Feb 2011, 22:57
Hi everybody, Does anybody knows something or some site about ELROPS Operations? Thankyou all.

mgTF
28th Feb 2011, 16:10
this is a mistery and forgotten kind of operation..
I have also been looking for this in the past but i couldn't find any valuable or updated information (after the sixties!)

avgenie
1st Mar 2011, 05:52
Hello Fpetrowitsch
On the heading you wrote LROPS but in the text you wrote ELROPS, I hope you mean LROPS which stood for Long Range Operations. If it is LROPS you are referring to then may be I can add a little bit of information.

I am no expert on this but recently I read a book "How Boeing Defied the Airbus Challenge" which is about ETOPS and LROPS. From the book, I understand that in 1997 Airbus proposed the LROPS to cater for twins ETOPS beyond 180 minutes, and beyond 180 minute diversion for all airplanes with more than two engines. In 2007, the FAA decided not to adopt the acronym LROPS but re-defined ETOPS to "Extended Operations". The FAA's new ETOPS rule covers twins above 180 min and also requires tris/quads to comply with new ETOPS standards when on routes that are farther than 180 min diversion time.

After the FAA issued the new rules on ETOPS, EASA also updated their rules but only for the twins. Not sure if they will work on rules for tris/quads also. If they work on similar rules for tris/quads, it is possible they may use the acronym LROPS just to show they are different from the FAA, and also try to may make Airbus happy by using their acronym;)! But, I don't know if Airbus wants additional rules for the A380!!:ouch:

You may want to check this book out. I got it from Amazon.com. I found it to be an excellent book on ETOPS, LROPS and what goes on between these titans (Airbus, Boeing). The book is well researched and has tons of references, so you can do further studies if you want.:ok:

Hope this helps. Hope we are talking the same thing. If I misunderstood your question, I apologize.

DERG
1st Mar 2011, 10:28
avgenie I am certain this is a very good read.

Do you own the publishing company or have some other pecuniary interest in this book?

mgTF
2nd Mar 2011, 09:05
afaik lrops are used by some aircraft (i guess below a certain minum tons) that are not suitable for etops. generally speaking, General Aviation: Global, Gulfstream, Falcon2000, Challenger...

Fpetrowitsch
2nd Mar 2011, 20:11
Thankyou very much avgenie, sorry about I wrote ELROPS , I wanted to say LROPS. And yes I think there is an isue about ETOPS and LROPS between Boeing and AIRBUS, and I think that this is going to be a problem for airlines because as this is going to take more than 180 mins. they are going to be concern not only engines reliability, but the cargo fire supressors, passenger medical care and passenger recovery when they divert to an alternate. Thanks again. Take care.

Green Guard
2nd Mar 2011, 21:01
Once it was called EROPS

and perhaps to avoid a fun obout it

" Engines Runing Or Passengers Swimming"

it came next as ETOPS......but still :confused:

avgenie
5th Mar 2011, 02:07
Hello Fpetrowitsch
Thank you for your kind comments, greatly appreciate.

sleeper
6th Mar 2011, 19:14
Same fun with ETOPs

Engines Turn Or People Swim