PDA

View Full Version : IR renewal

Miles High
8th May 2001, 09:39
Well my IR will soon expire - and before I got a job. Bother.

What is the difference in the test and cost if you renew some time after your IR expires rather than before? (yes I'm thinking of hedging my bets)

If anyone has recently renewed or is otherwise in a position to know, please let me know what you reckon.

Thanks

rolling circle
8th May 2001, 13:38
If you allow your IR to expire, you have to 'renew' rather than 'revalidate'. In practical terms there are no differences between the renewal and the revalidation flight tests. However, if you do not renew within 5 years of the date of expiry you will have to apply to the CAA who will lay down a minimum amount of refresher training and the subsequent renewal will be conducted by a CAA FE.

EDDNR
9th May 2001, 03:45
Keep it current, it is false economy to let it lapse, who knows, you could get called to an interview and caught short of a valid IR and probably get stressed out trying to renew it before your interview.

Rod

expedite_climb
9th May 2001, 15:15
You don't need a current IR to get a job, on your conversion course you will have to do a IRT on the type anyway. I know several people who have got jobs with IR's which have lapsed.

Having said that, some companies may want a current IR for applications.

Miles High
10th May 2001, 19:29
Thanks all.
Both views have validity, hence my indecision.

IFollowRoads
12th May 2001, 05:28
Other thing you may want to consider: Revalidation = see you friendly IRE, £you negotiate, and you stand (so I am told) a fair chance of not having to do the asymmetric section. Renewal when expired by 5 years or more (maybe 7, depends on if you believe JAR or CAA) = CAA examiner, £500+ squidlies, and mandatory asymmetric part

http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.1.185.htm

('Course, we hope you have the job well in the bag before that happens)

[This message has been edited by IFollowRoads (edited 12 May 2001).]