PDA

View Full Version : Procedures for Landing at Essendon, Australia

Captain Noodle
8th May 2001, 03:38
Hi, I am 100 hour PPL flying the trusty 172. I've landed at Essendon once. I am up for a BFR and will land at Essendon. I am looking at ERSA, but can anyone give me procedures/tips for arrival at Essendon?

daytrader
8th May 2001, 09:07
Noodles,
pretty much as for standard primary CTR in daylight, read the ersa though. Note that the TAC has incorrect twr freq. See the notams.
DT

Vapour Trail
9th May 2001, 19:15
Depends where you are coming from? Albert Park Lake is the best inbound point, most used and better chance of getting cleared. Remember code 0100, landing light on and call approaching Albert Park Lake, not at it, because if there is a delay (usual on busiy days/times) then you will have to do an orbit to stay OCTA.

Westgate bridge isn't bad either, depends on traffic though, as departing traffic usually go past westgate, and at the same level (I have had a few interesting moments there). Also sometimes the controllers will (when reporting at APL) get you to remain OCTA, track to westgate, and call again. This usually results in a straight in approach to 35.

Don't try to come in, or out, via rockdale, or rockbank, whatever it is called, out to the west, especially if heavies are landing on 34 at YMML.

Hope I have been of some help!

------------------
Eat My Vapour Trail

[This message has been edited by Vapour Trail (edited 09 May 2001).]

Captain Noodle
10th May 2001, 03:54
Thanks for the replies. I will be entering CTA at Albert Park, flying from Tyabb.

Great advice Vapour. Practice run soon. Will let you know how I go.

Noodle

Katoi
10th May 2001, 22:45
Pity your talking about OZ. If it was Essendon UK, I would suggest landing on one of the uphill par 5's at the local golf course. With 500 yards you've got a good chance of stopping a 172.

Captain Noodle
11th May 2001, 05:20
Katoi, where is Essendon in the UK? Here, mate, they are a fantastic football team, (Aussie Rules). Will win the league again!

Noodles

bookworm
12th May 2001, 11:43
Have you tried the Melbourrne VFR Guide (http://www.flyingaustralia.com)? I wish we had the equivalent in the UK.

Katoi
13th May 2001, 03:28
Noodle

Essendon in the UK is a village about 20 miles north of London in Hertfordshire.

I have watched a bit of Oz rules footie on tv and have seen Essendon play, in fact they were on last week at about 2am in the morning. I watched it in a hotel in Newcastle.

Can't say I understand the rules though. Looks a bit violent to me!

Captain Noodle
13th May 2001, 04:49
Katoi, anywhere near Royston?
I spent two years there, fantastic little English town.

Drop in and say hi to Dennis, the Guvnor of the Boars Head.

Noodle

Captain Noodle
15th May 2001, 15:35
Hey Bookworm, thanks for the tip. I got the VFR guide. It is fantastic. Shows in full colour what you expect to see from the plane as you approach from each approach point. Gives lots of other info too like radio calls, headings, tips and tricks.

I too wish you had access to VFR guides for the UK(?). They are brilliant.

Regards
Noodle