PDA

View Full Version : How much does Jet Fuel cost per litre / kg / tonne?

Propellerhead
5th May 2001, 23:01
How much does jet fuel cost per litre or Kg?
I think it's slightly less than petrol due to less tax, but obviously it has stricter controls, is of higher quality which must increase the cost.

[This message has been edited by Propellerhead (edited 05 May 2001).]

expedite_climb
6th May 2001, 02:05
Its not of higher quality, if you think about it, its just a flame burning constantly, so its qualities arent as important.

I believe Jet a1 is something like 10 p a litre.

quid
6th May 2001, 09:05
Our last fuel contract (major US carrier) was at $0.958 per US gallon.

nilnotedtks
6th May 2001, 14:19
Mr expedite_climb.......The quality processes are far and away more stringent for jet fuel than almost any other hydrocarbon fuel. think about it, it must be able to 'operate' from plus 50 to minus 48 celcius. There are very stringent controls all along the quality process to keep the stuff free of water, it's worst enemy. Please dont think for a minute that fuel suppliers treat this commodity with anything less than the strictest of quality controls. Most pilots will treat their fuel with indifference and subconciously hope it will alway work. It takes lots of constant hard work to keep this fuel right....right down to the poor old mechanic in the middle of the night doing his fuel/ water drains

foghorn
7th May 2001, 19:04
By the way Jet A1 has no tax in the UK, except for VAT which of course is fully deductable for an airline or other company.

Boss Raptor
8th May 2001, 13:42
Very much depends on where you are and how far you are from the supply source...

In West Africa for example we are paying $.31 cents per litre in Lagos on 727 sized uplifts but going as high as $.42 to .46 in places like Banjul and Niamey!

A quick call to the Esso refuellers at LHR will give you the current posted price (PAP).

CargoOne
8th May 2001, 18:27
it really depends for each destination. if you have scheduled 747 to <somewhere> twice a day and signed a contract with fuel supplier for guaranteed uplift of 350 tones Jet-A1 DAILY, you can expect very special price. if you landing your own small bizjet to uplift 2 tones - you will pay list price.
jet fuel price is ranging from 30-35 USD per ton (big contract for regular uplift in Iran) to 1600 USD per ton for occasional uplift at the middle of nowhere (African desert, fuel to be carried by camels to the point of uplift, it is not a joke!).
The average fuel price in Europe now is around 280-450 USD per ton (0.85-1.35 USD/USG).

Mariner9
8th May 2001, 19:31
Jet A-1 is currently traded at around $262.50/ton for a spot cargo in Europe. That's the price the oil companies pay for the stuff in bulk, though they are of course free to charge what the market will stand for onward sales to end users.

Jet A-1 must conform to the DERD 2494 specification. Although quality is rigidly controlled, it is no more so than for example EN228 (unleaded gasoline).

JP5A
8th May 2001, 20:23
I pay 30p per litre for jetA1 at Blackpool Airport.V.A.T. is 5%.
Pretty good compared to Avgas with V.A.T. at 17.5%

flaps
9th May 2001, 17:46
Mariner, that's similar to what I've seen.

During training one of our training captains showed a quick calc.

If fuel is £250/ton, and if it costs 4%per hour to carry fuel that is the same as 1/25th. Or in other words it costs £10 per hour to carry each extra ton of fuel.

Therefore when thinking about extra fuel when the weather is bad the cost of 1 hours holding on a typical sector (short haul European) is £20.

He next suggested considering the £20 as the insurance premium against a divert..

It made me think when the weather's bad that chucking on an extra ton/ton and a half aint much.