PDA

View Full Version : Type Ratings - 737-300 or A-320?

Tobeornottobe
3rd May 2001, 17:51
I am a Canadian ATPL,
3000 hrs total
2000 hrs turbine (FO)
1000 Single-engine PIC
Looking at company in Vancouver for type rating / job placement. Could anyone recommend any type rating companies in the US or Canada that are relatively inexpensive.
Vancouver company offers 737-300 rating at $ 14,800 US. Has anyone ever taken this route for employment and is it possible to get hired worldwide with zero time on type? Your constructive feedback would be much appreciated.

kabz
3rd May 2001, 18:21
Saw an article here :
http://www.avweb.com/articles/737typed/
< $10,000. I am completely unqualified to comment on any of this. FYI only !!

Skye Pilot
4th May 2001, 00:09
I am a firm believer of airlines being responsible for type rating pilots. Pilots who prostitute themselves by paying for their own type ratings are only setting a nasty precedent for those that follow them.

Don't pay for your own type rating. It means nothing anyway without any experience to back it up.

Iz
4th May 2001, 00:34
Thanks for your insight Skye Pilot.

But what if you have only two options:
1. Buy your type rating and fly
2. Sit at home and do nothing

Which would you choose?
Apparently you've been in a position where you had the good fortune to get a good job. Not everybody's lucky that way.

Skye Pilot
4th May 2001, 02:13
Iz,
Thanks for the reply and I can understand the frustration involved, however if we all refused to pay for our type ratings the airlines would be forced in to providing them, as they did way back when.

Iz
4th May 2001, 11:21
Yeah I know. I wish it were that way. Unfortunately, here in Holland, there are companies that actually financially rely on the money that new FO's bring along. It's criminal!

Tobeornottobe
4th May 2001, 17:25
Hello Zeke,

Any advice to offer on this "sensitive" subject? I too agree that it's a shame the airlines, at times, expect us to fork out money for training / type ratings etc...however, in my situation nobody is expecting anything nor are they offering anything to me. I just spoke to someone at "Canada 3000" in HR and she indicated that a type rated candidate still has to go through the same initial training as someone who is not type rated. I'm sure the airline can apply for a waiver of some sort from Transport Canada to minimize training expenses while still getting the candidate "up to par." I guess everyone has their own journey to get into the "airlines." I invested a lot of money going to an aviation college to better myself because Lord knew I needed an education. The way I see it right now...A type rating is an investment in MY future. If it works for me, I will be the first to post a message on who's hiring me. I hope everyone attains their goals the way they see fit. Make sure to help one another along the way.....As for those who consider me to be a prostitute....I SAY WHEN, HOW MUCH....(heh-heh)

Iz
4th May 2001, 17:35
2B/not2B, yeah you're absolutely right. Same thing goes for MCC courses in Europe. People are doing them privately now even though they will get another one at the airline that hires them.
Just like the expensive CPL, IR, ATPL and so on, it's an investment in yourself and you really only get better from it.
Too bad it all costs so much money!!

Tobeornottobe
4th May 2001, 17:48
On a more serious note, thank-you kabz for the link to that article. I called up the school yesterday - Very informative. I still find the training costs at Active Aerospace in Vancouver to be within $ 1,000.00 of other US schools for A320 /B767 or 737-300 EFIS. All aircraft are the same cost as far as choosing one. Transport Canada is also familiar with Active Aerospace and has "no complaints." A decision has to be made as to the type of aircraft to train on. I guess whichever aircraft is most marketable...Is there anyone out there who can tell me of companies / "headhunters" out there who hire pilots - zero time on type. It would be very much appreciated. Also, I want to do a study of airlines, their aircaft type, VISA/employment requirements by country etc...etc...Can anyone recommend any websites, books, etc...?

Tobeornottobe
5th May 2001, 09:04
Zeke,

Left you a couple emails...thanks for info.

JJflyer
28th Dec 2003, 05:59
Yo...

Unless you have a job offer conditional to getting a type I would not do it.

However I got my present job as I had the required type on my license so there we have it. Without the type I would not have stood a chance of getting a position. I for one would rather invest a few thousand of dollars to a type rather than hang around unemployed.

There are companies that will not consider hiring one without the appropriate ratings in the first place, Southwest Airlines of US comes to my mind first.

Pilots will allways want to fly and advance their careers. Theoretically thinking that if we all stick together would force airlines to do what we want and that would be just peachy. But we live in a world that is far from peachy and it will never work. Sorry to have rained on your parade Skye pilot. But there it is.

Since you have decided to do a self sponsored type rating. I would give considerations to some of the following:

1. Do you have a company you want to work for? What type do they operate?
2. Is one of the types you are thinking about obtaining a rating for flown by many companies around your home?
3. Either type out of production?
4. Would the rating be done in an older model of the the type (say a B737-200 sim)? Would you then be required todo differences training? How much will that cost.
5. How much does it cost to keep current in the type?
6 What is the total cost including, transportation, accomodation, food and the training course?
7. What license do you have? Is the school approved by your licensing authorities?

Anyways here are a few pointers. I am sure you guys can up with some more.

JJ