PDA

View Full Version : Where to live near Plymouth?

maintain high speed
2nd May 2001, 19:09
Finaly After 2 years of Pain.

New job out of Plymouth starting in August.

Looking for a bit of advice on where to live, probably to rent for 6 months then to buy

Cheers

bcfc
2nd May 2001, 19:15
Well, not Plymouth for a start :rolleyes:.

For the Roborough end of town (convienient for the airport) I'd live in Tavistock myself. Lovely little town, nice pubs, good for the moor, 20 mins into PLY. Over the Tamar, property is much cheaper but its a bugger to cross the bridge in rush hour.

Welcome to the West Country. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Dad
2nd May 2001, 21:47
Having grown up in Plymouth (now living in grotty London), there are some really nice areas and of course some nasty horrid places.

Stay away from Devonport end of town, nasty, unclean and full of undesirables. Plymstock area including Hooe, (not to be mistaken with the Hoe) Turnchapel and Mount Batten are lovely areas.

Wembury is expensive and i doubt you'll be able to rent anywhere, but then again if you can find somewhere.

Both areas above are by the coast and include some lovely views across into Cornwall all within walking distance. It will take you about 20 mins to drive to airport from all of the above areas.

Don't go to Tavistock , bloody cold, and not alot to do, unless your a Dartmoor pony.

Hope this helps.

Blended-winglets
2nd May 2001, 22:54
If it's Brymon that you have been taken on by then get yourself down to the Plymouth crew room because there are always plenty of adverts in there for reasonably priced accomodation( on the noticeboard).

maintain high speed
3rd May 2001, 18:00
Many thanks for the replys guys

That will give me something to work on.

Gonzo
3rd May 2001, 21:59
MHS,

Like DAD, I'm a Plymouth exile, now living in Slough (ugh!!!!). My parents now live in Ivybridge which is the last town before you hit Plymouth on the A38 from London. Nice and pleasant place. I'd recommend Tavistock and also Yelverton/Dousland if you can get a place there (nice country pubs). Only ten mins north of the field and on the edge of spectacular Dartmoor, and only ten more to get into the city centre. I'd try to miss the areas in inner Plymouth as already mentioned. The suburbs have some nice areas, Plympton, Woodford, Colebrook are all nice enough.

Tavistock, cold? I was there today and it hit 20 degrees C! ;)

Gonzo

low n' slow
4th May 2001, 20:27
I might be completely off, but I believe Liskeard is on a reasonable distance from Plym. I should think there are quite a few places that would fit your description for housing. It's quite a booring place though!
cheers

Gonzo
4th May 2001, 21:20
Liskeard. Hummm, nice place admittedly, though if you get caught in the rush hour then allow 1.5 hours to get to PLY. And especially at the moment because of the work to the Tamar bridge, which I believe is restricted. They're soon going to restrict the Saltash tunnel (only 10-12 years old - but looks as if it's falling apart inside).

And watch out for all those Cornish crazies who are pushing for a Universal Declaration of Independence for the UK!!! ;) ;) ;)

Gonzo.

Greased Gerbil
7th May 2001, 03:27
If you must move down to this rather unpleasant end of the country move somewhere like Looe. Its about 20-25 miles from Plymouth, its got plenty of places to get drunk, its one of the few places in Cornwall where it doesn’t rain 365 days a year and there are plenty of fine virile and attractive young lasses that come down for their holidays. Although one warning though, there seems to be some sort of native tribal war going on between the youth of east and west Looe at the moment.