PDA

View Full Version : 737 QRH checklist symbol

Analyser
14th Feb 2011, 14:06
The older checklists had this particular symbol "< >" when a circuit breaker had to be pulled by the flight crew during a non-normal situatuon.This symbol was after the name of the checklist.The last few revisions have it for a number of checklists where there is no circuit breaker to be pulled(Mainly in a number of checklists in the hydraulics,flight controls and landing gear).

Avenger
14th Feb 2011, 15:45
Don't know where you got your checklist, but this symbol does not appear in the Boeing QRH, if cct breakers need pulling, it gives you the panel no and breaker no, that's all.

Sciolistes
14th Feb 2011, 20:48
I recall such a notation in a third party mnagement guide.

alexban
15th Feb 2011, 14:14
can you be more specific, in what NNC you found that sign?
I don't have it and don't remember having a check that instructed us to pull a CB on our qrh.. I maybe wrong though..

BOAC
15th Feb 2011, 15:11
I don't have it and don't remember having a check that instructed us to pull a CB on our qrh - partial or gear up?

I too cannot recall the <> symbol, but could it mark text etc removed by an amendment?

shlittlenellie
15th Feb 2011, 17:49
The specific checklist has been altered by the airline.

Analyser
16th Feb 2011, 16:04
Yes I assume the checklist is airline modified but cant seem to get any response to the reason for the symbol.This is what some of the checklists look like.

LOSS OF SYSTEM A <>...................................13.2
LOSS OF SYSTEM B <>...................................13.5
MANUAL REVERSION or LOSS OF SYSTEM A AND
SYSTEM B <> ..........................................

737 Flight Crew Operations Manual

Non-Normal Checklists Chapter NNC

Flight Controls Section 9

Table of Contents

Elevator Tab Limit Cycle Oscillation ..............9.1
Runaway Stabilizer <> .................................9.2
NNC. 3
All Flaps Up Landing <>....................................9.4

Avenger
16th Feb 2011, 16:27
Forget it, chuck it away and get a proper Boeing QRH , the fisrt item:
Elevator Tab Limit Cycle Oscillation ..............9.1 is not even a check list item, it comes from the Boeing Study Guide Limitations.

Analyser
16th Feb 2011, 16:33
The above checklist was a "cut and paste" from my boeing approved QRH.Its the real deal.Its there on all our 737's.All 60 of them so am not sure how you can say its not the real thing.Like I said it is company specific but do other operators have this on their checklist.

Avenger
16th Feb 2011, 17:33
" Boeing approved".. Ok, I am not suggesting this does not exist, but.. revision in 2008 is the current format. I have just checked 5 operator QRHs, none have these < > symbols. If you tell me the revision number I will get a definative answer from Boeing, from the point of view of the item 9.1, I cannot find that in ANY 737 checklist back to 2001 which is when my records cease. If you are operating in Eastern Europe then this is another complication as some checklists were sourced through 3rd parties

iflytb20
17th Feb 2011, 06:11
Our last revision of the QRH was in Sep 2010. The Elevator Tab Vibrations [Pg 9.6] Checklist was introduced as part of that revision.

I also have a copy of an older version of the QRH [Yellow pages] dated Sep 2003. In it there is a Memory Item checklist called Elevator Tab Limit Cycle Oscillation [Pg 9.3]

The contents of the two are very similar except that the Elevator Tab Limit Cycle Oscillation checklist has a speed limit of 270 KIAS.

Hope this helps

Avenger
17th Feb 2011, 06:36
The checklist will incorporate this according to the line no of the airframe and the SB status, that is why it appears in your revision and not all revisions, having said that, it is in Revision 17 onwards.

The symbol <> is still a mystery! This was the original question.

Just for info about the SB:

TAB LIMIT CYCLE OSCILLATION
The following procedures are applicable to all Model 737-
600/700/700C/800 airplanes prior to the incorporation of Boeing
Service Bulletin 737-55A1080, or the production equivalent,
incorporating stiffened elevator tabs.
An elevator tab Limit Cycle Oscillation (LCO) will be characterized
by a high frequency, possible severe vibration, originating in the
tail of the airplane, and emanating forward through the airframe
structure. LCO events have previously occurred at airspeeds greater
than 275 KIAS, and in an altitude range between 10,000 and 25,000
feet following ground deicing/anti-icing of the horizontal
stabilizer. This vibration may, or may not, be felt in the control
column. Cabin crew may be able to confirm the source of any
airframe vibrations. If LCO is suspected in flight, immediately
reduce airspeed (WITHOUT use of speed brakes, or changing aircraft
configuration) to 270 KIAS, or until the vibration ceases, whichever
indicated airspeed is lower.
DO NOT USE SPEED BRAKES FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE FLIGHT
Use of the speed brakes in other emergencies is at the discretion of
the flight crew. Remain at or below the indicated airspeed at which
the vibration ceased for the remainder of the flight, but do not
exceed 270 KIAS. Evaluate the need to land at the nearest
practicable airport. Landing airport selection should be based upon
consideration of all pertinent factors such as: weather, distance to
destination, range available at the reduced airspeed, maximum
landing weight, and possible airframe damage. Use of ground
spoilers during landing rollout is permitted.

VH-ABC
17th Feb 2011, 21:40
My QRH does indeed have these symbols( < > ), and they indicate which checklist is to be done in regard to aircraft serial number. As an example, the speed brake do not arm checklist differs depending on what aircraft number you are talking about.

Analyser
18th Feb 2011, 03:45
The revision is no 25.I also thought about it being aircraft specific but its there on checklists such as ditching and runaway stabilizer.
Avenger....The elevator tab limit cycle oscillation checklist has been a memory item in my airline for the last eight years.Some operators would want a checklist as a recall item.
The "< >" symbol is there in the checklist index(unannunciated,alphabetical) as well.
Any thoughts?? :confused::confused:

frogone
18th Feb 2011, 20:43
eg Runway Stabilizer < >

Boeings explanation is in the FCOM:

Special Note < XXX >

This FCOM contains information which has been included at the request of XXX. for airplanes covered by this manual. This information may differ
from Boeing recommended information. By including this information in the
manual, Boeing is providing a publishing service only and such inclusion does not imply that The Boeing Company in any way endorses or approves such
information. The technical accuracy and validity of all such airline provided
information, and its effect, if any, on other portions of this manual, is the sole
responsibility of XXX.

BOAC
19th Feb 2011, 16:46
Only problem is that Analyser does not mention any 'XXX' between the <> :confused:

Round again?

Analyser
22nd Feb 2011, 16:31
Well I have tried to look(5 times and counting) but no information in the checklist instruction or legend sections.Also as BOAC mentioned that no information has been given between the "< >" symbols pertaining that its operator specific.
Does it mean that the entire checklist is operator specific??

Thanks for the help but am not sure how to get around this one

frogone
22nd Feb 2011, 16:52
XXX you put in the ICAO designator eg EIN = Aer Lingus and that was only for the explaination paragraph from the FCOM.

Take 2 examples from my company QRH. 'Engine control' and 'Engine Failure or Shutdown'

In the index on chapter 7 it looks like this:

ENGINE CONTROL...........................7.15
Engine Failure or Shutdown <>.........7.16

The titles look exactly the same on their respective pages.

ENGINE CONTROL
Engine Failure or Shutdown <>

The Engine Control checklist has not been ammended by my company nor have they asked for any company notes or adjustments to be made to it. However the Engine Failure or Shutdown checklist has been ammended by my company and Boeing have put the <> brackets there to show this.

Analyser
24th Feb 2011, 11:52
Super... Thanks :)