PDA

View Full Version : Legality of conducting these approaches in IMC.

PT6A
13th Feb 2011, 12:13
Legality of conducting these approaches in IMC.

I used to fly in and out of TIP (Tripoli) just prior to the A330 crash, at the time the airport was in a total mess in terms of ATC, standard of the actual airport etc.
No longer operating to the airport, out of curiosity I decided to have a look at the charts and see if they have changed anything since the crash.

I see that we now have the following NOTAMS: -
• All WARNING (valid 19-AUG-2010 - UFN)
AD data based on unreliable state source.
Check any uncertainties with ATC.
Navaids
NIL
Runway
• AFC, AGC, IAC RWY Elevation and QFU (valid 19-AUG-2010 - UFN)
Values probably incorrect.
Contact ATC.
• AGC STOPWAYS RWY 18 / 36 (valid 19-AUG-2010 - UFN)
Uncertain wether STOPWAYS RWY 18/36 are incorrect.
Contact ATC.
SID
• SID SIDPT SID RWY 09 (valid 14-JUL-2010 - PERM)
Acc SUP 3/2010 REP ALTOP and ODELI withdrawn.
No official info in relation to SID avbl.
Check with ATC.

There are a few airports with NOTAMS like this... how on earth can it be legal to operate into these airports in IMC, so that is my question is it legal to accept these procedures.

FlightDetent
13th Feb 2011, 20:54
Your source of notams? NOF Lybia most likely not, so who says so, Jepp normally stick to AIP and do not care any more. They sound quite reasonable.

411A
13th Feb 2011, 21:13
... the airport was in a total mess in terms of ATC, standard of the actual airport etc.

Standard for TIP, since 1971, when I started operating there.

how on earth can it be legal to operate into these airports in IMC, so that is my question is it legal to accept these procedures.

Yes, legal....provided you use all due caution.

IE: you cannot expect FRA/LHR/AMS (etc) air traffic control procedures in North Africa...sorry, ain't gonna happen.

NB.
And yes, this very senior Captain still operates to TIP, on occasion.

PT6A
14th Feb 2011, 03:23
FD, we use Lido. When I pull up the information the first page is the one telling me that they suspect all of the data in the charts is wrong / might be wrong.

With many of the things they highlight i don't see how it can be legal... When even things like the declared distances are suspected to be wrong..... Which of course bugger up any numbers the laptop spits out.

I just think if there were ever an incident you would be hung... As they inform you the charts are not correct and you used them anyway....