PDA

View Full Version : Colour Blindness

Mr Cessna
12th Feb 2011, 19:47
Have been told by Dr that I can instruct ONLY on some sort of resticted medical certificate due to my colourblindness but I have to get an instructors medical soon before EASA 'change things' :confused: Im very confused, could someone explain what he means?

Thanks in advance :ok:

mad_jock
12th Feb 2011, 22:23
Means you get a no night restriction.

But there is no such thing as an instructors medical.

You get Class one or a class 2 medical or a NPPL medical so I am not suprised you are confused because such a thing does not excist.

Mr Cessna
12th Feb 2011, 22:40
ok thanks so I just cannot fly at night right?

other than that there is no problem?

AOB9
12th Feb 2011, 22:53
Instructor rating comes after CPL. CPL requires Class 1 medical, Class 1 medical requires a "pass" on colour vision.......at least that's what I was led to believe. Check this out before you commit to expensive longterm plans. Colour vision is a subject for much discussion, check the colour vision thread in the medical forum.

dobbin1
13th Feb 2011, 07:54
I have CVD, and I have a restricted Class 1 medical. I completed my CPL without doing the night hours and I now have a CPL with a page full of restrictions - No public transport, no night, UK airspace only, G reg only, radio required at ATC airports. This allows me to do aerial work including paid flight instruction, but of course subject to all of the restrictions listed.

I now have my FI rating, so it is possible to become an instructor despite being colour vision deficient. The CAA were very helpful throughout the process, but I have no idea what will happen after EASA. My advice would be to do it all now if you can.