PDA

View Full Version : Progression to Commercial Instructing

blagger
11th Feb 2011, 17:06
I'm currently working as a part-time FI doing PPL/IMC/Night (other career) but would like to progress into CPL/Multi/IR instructing as a second career. Anyone on here done the same kind of progression and any good tips on what to aim for / work on to make the step up? Is airline experience essential or can you get into it without? Do a lot of people start PPL instructing with a school then move on to the higher level stuff? Cheers

FlyingForFun
11th Feb 2011, 22:43
Blagger,

Yes, I've done exactly that. I've been instructing at my current CPL/IR school for four and a half years, and been CFI there for the last year, after spending two years teaching PPL/IMC/Night full time first.

PPL/IMC/Night instructing is the first step, you're on the right lines already. The next thing you'll need is your multi-engine instructor privileges - and you'll need 30 hours P1 on MEPs before you can do that. So, unless you've got 30 hours P1 on MEPs already, start hour-building. For me, that was the expensive part - but working at a flying school meant I knew a fair number of people with some spare cash and an interest in flying, so I managed to cost-share most of this hour-building. If you can find an under-confident private owner who's happy to let you log P1 and keep an eye on him while he flies himself about, that's a good way of doing it too.

To instruct for the IR, you'll need either 200 hours IFR, or 50 hours flight by sole reference to instruments. If you're already instructing for the IMC rating, then this is hopefully helping you on your way to that. You'll also need an IR yourself if you haven't already got one. To instruct for the CPL you need to have an unrestricted FI rating (which you must already have if you're teaching IMC), and a certain number of hours instructing - 200 comes to mind, but check that in LASORS because I might be wrong. (I'd check myself, but it's late and I have an early start tomorrow.)

Once you've got the hours, you can either send your CV to all the CPL/IR schools in the country (there's a complete list of the approved schools on the CAA website) and hope they'll fund the upgrade to multi-engine instructor (it's not unheard of), or you can pay for this yourself before you send your CV off. Then keep your fingers crossed, and good luck! There is a real shortage of people for this role - most people who have the required experience are more interested in airline work, so it's only a matter of time.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info!

FFF
----------

Whopity
12th Feb 2011, 08:53
To instruct for the IR, you'll need either 200 hours IFR, or 50 hours flight by sole reference to instruments.This is the UK interpretation of JAR-FCL however with EASA looming the requirement will be 200 hours IFR; not quite so easy to achieve, and almost guaranteeing a shortage of new commercial instructors.

blagger
12th Feb 2011, 20:54
Well..I'll just make sure I fly IFR OCAS on all my navexs from now on and that will sort the 200hrs out surely??!!:E

BillieBob
12th Feb 2011, 21:15
Well..I'll just make sure I fly IFR OCAS on all my navexs from now on
That'll work. Of course, after Part-FCL and the Standardised European Rules of the Air are implemented, you'll have to make sure that you file a flight plan, fly semicirculars and get an ATC service, but, hey, that's no sweat. Oh yeah, and you'll need a valid IR to fly IFR, even in VMC.

FlyingOfficerKite
18th Feb 2011, 13:31
Just a quick question:

LASORS states that the 30 hours prior to commencing the ME instructor rating course should be 'PIC'.

I hope this isn't an obvious question, but does P1U/S on successful completion of a flight test on a ME aircraft count towards this 30 hours?

If it does I have a 7 or 8 hour head start due to ME rating and IR renewals.

If it doesn't I have 1 hour!

Thanks.

FOK

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2011, 18:51
Yes.

Under JAR rules, successful flight tests are logged as PICUS as you know, and the time is recorded in the PIC column and counts in full towards your PIC hours.

FFF
-------------

JUST-local
18th Feb 2011, 19:30
From Lazors "d. Have flown at least 30 hours as PIC on the applicable
type or class of aeroplane prior to commencing the
course. It should be noted that ME SPIC time is not
allowable towards this 30 hours requirement."

I am adding the MEP instructor later this year and after reading the above will ensure that I have the full 30 hours PIC before starting the course - just in case. :)

BillieBob
18th Feb 2011, 20:06
....will ensure that I have the full 30 hours PIC before starting the course - just in case.A wise move. PICUS counts as PIC only when JAR-FCL says that it does.

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2011, 20:18
JL,

SPIC is what is logged on an Integrated course when an instructor is on board, but does not influence the flight in any way and does not log the flight. It can not be used except on an Integrated course. See LASORS Section A (Abbreviations and Definitions).

This is not the same as PICUS. SPIC can't be counted towards your 30 hours, but PICUS can.

FFF
------------

JUST-local
18th Feb 2011, 20:44
Thanks for clearing that up. :ok:

FlyingOfficerKite
18th Feb 2011, 20:51
Thanks Chaps!

Best to check.

KR

FOK :)