PDA

View Full Version : B767 Equipment Smoke Question

heavyg
9th Feb 2011, 15:23
Just curious if anyone knows why Boeing does not state to 'initiate a diversion to the nearest suitable airport' in the B767 Equipment Smoke checklist. I know airmanship would likely dictate otherwise...just curious why Boeing does not state to do so.

Cheers,
HG

Sleeping
9th Feb 2011, 18:31
It sounds as if the checklist you refer to is well out of date. :=

The 767 QRH dated 2009 states as item 1 on the "Smoke" checklist:

1 Diversion may be needed.

There is, in addition, much more in-depth guidance in the checklist instruction section of the '09 checklist. :ok:

heavyg
9th Feb 2011, 18:57
Hi Sleeping,

Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific. The checklist I'm referring to is 'Equipment Smoke' (8.13 in my checklist) dated June 1/09. I will check the instruction section you mentioned.

Cheers,
HG

Sleeping
9th Feb 2011, 19:15
Hi HG,

The QRH you refer to is clearly different from ours.

I recall the "Equipment Smoke" section of the QRH you refer to, but that is no longer in our QRH since Jun 2009 and has been replaced by "Smoke, Fire or Fumes" (- section 8.8), with much more detailed guidance in the checklist instruction section.

If I recall correctly the changes were made after the Halifax Swiss MD11 in-flight fire accident.

I'm surprised that all 767 QRHs are not the same! :confused:

heavyg
9th Feb 2011, 19:40
Thanks for the info. We have the 'Smoke, Fire, or Fumes' checklist as well. Since that checklist requires the equipment cooling selector be selected to 'STBY' it may be that the Equipment Smoke checklist should no longer be in our QRH. I'll check with the grown-ups.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,
HG