PDA

View Full Version : Wind report

Breakthesilence
8th Feb 2011, 22:09
Hi!

Some days ago I was asked to report some spot winds (at different altitudes). As usual, I replied to the ATC request with these words "spot wind 130°, 24 Knots".
The captain told me I had to say "spot wind 130°, diagonal 24 Knots" while another captain said it's not standard so it's right not to say it.

Now, my doubt is......is the word "diagonal" requested by the standard radio phraseology or is a word used to be said by many pilots in the world but not standard?

It's just curiosity :8

flightsearch
9th Feb 2011, 04:22
yeah please don't say "diagonal"...
I'am only interested in the numbers :D

greetz

Johannes

NZScion
9th Feb 2011, 05:05
I have also heard the word "oblique" being used for some en-route position reports around (where a wind speed is required). Pretty sure that it's not necessary, and if an ATCO needs to hear the wind again (s)he will ask for it again...

Piltdown Man
9th Feb 2011, 08:14
The captain told me I had to say "spot wind 130°, diagonal 24 Knots...

This sounds like the sort of person who'll also tell you how to breathe and walk. Keep him happy and does as he asks but don't ask why - you probably won't learn much. ATC just want the wind direction and speed, so communicate in the simplest way possible. Paul's method above sounds pretty clear to me.

PM

Breakthesilence
9th Feb 2011, 10:14
So I was right, "diagonal" is not required and I'm happy for that....I hate listening to that word at the radio!! :E

I heard it by different airplanes of different countries; that's why I asked...to be sure I didn't miss something from the phraseology course and experience :}