PDA

View Full Version : Altimeter setting procedures

welliewanger
6th Feb 2011, 17:50
Which altimeter setting procedure do you use and under which authority do you operate?

1. Cleared to a flight level: Set standard on primary altimeter immediately. Leave secondary until through the transition altitude.

2. Cleared to a flight level: Set standard on all altimeters as you go through transition altitude.

3. Cleared to a flight level: Set standard 1000' before transition altitude.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to all three.

shortfuel
6th Feb 2011, 21:23
Under GCAA, UAE:

Option 2.

johannschmith
7th Feb 2011, 01:41
Same in Singapore. The law states that altimeters are to be set when passing transition on the way up and down. In Europe we set them to STD and to QNH when so cleared.

toby320
7th Feb 2011, 01:56
Hi, in my country we do it exactly passing the transition level we set standard in both altimeters and cross checked and then we set std in stby alt as well.

Toby.

max_continuous
7th Feb 2011, 03:31
Just revalidated my IR in the UK and did the following (NB. aware of lack of experience, just sharing IR exam experience):

Single Pilot with 3 altimeters, one each side in usual position and standby,

Take off - all QNH

Cleared FL - alt 1 & sby 1013 straight away, alt 2 prev QNH

Arrival atis copied - alt 2 new qnh

Change to app'ch- atis code and QNH reported, when confirmed sby to current QNH

Cleared descend (Scottish TMA so 6000' TA) - all to QNH

I was always taught to work an altimeter check into any checklist and to treat it as seperate from an instrument check. Good instructor told me to say - setting - sector - safe, and to call when passing below MSA and state why I was happy to go below.

aviatorhi
7th Feb 2011, 05:25
Usually at the transition, unless on a cruise clearance to an airport, then at TOD or whenever we remember.

Admiral346
7th Feb 2011, 06:29
Option # 1.

oz in dxb
7th Feb 2011, 07:45
Altimeters should be set on either QNH or standard until passing Transition Altitude or Transition Level. The reason if you (climbing) are cleared to a FL, then your clearance is changed back to an altitude, you will not have to reset your altimeter. Worst case is you forget to reset it. Same for a descent clearance.

So, option 2

Oz

j_swift
7th Feb 2011, 08:40
Hi maxcontinuous, In glass cockpit like the A380 and B777, setting Capt's and Fo's altimeter to different Baro setting triggers the 'Altimeter Disagree' ECAM or EICAS Adisory message after a time delay. And this can be quite distracting in busy environments on the descent.:)

Jumbo Driver
8th Feb 2011, 10:45
For UK, the nearest correct answer is 1.

With a 3-altimeter aircraft, the two primary altimeters would be set to Standard (1013.25) when initially cleared to a FL or, if intermediate altitude passing reports have been requested, when the final passing altitude has been vacated. In my experience, the standby altimeter is best left on QNH until top of climb, when it can be set to either 1013 or, for a short sector, to the destination QNH.

This (for the UK) is reflected in the UK AIP at ENR 1.7 - ALTIMETER SETTING PROCEDURES, paras 5 (Detailed Procedures) in particular.

This subject comes up regularly - you could try reading here (http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/379455-altimeter-setting-std-pressure.html) and here (http://www.pprune.org/questions/340702-altimeter-setting-procedures.html) for a start ...

JD
:)

Capn Bloggs
8th Feb 2011, 22:44
setting Capt's and Fo's altimeter to different Baro setting triggers the 'Altimeter Disagree' ECAM or EICAS Adisory message after a time delay. And this can be quite distracting in busy environments on the descent.
"Distracting"?

Jumbo Driver
9th Feb 2011, 09:03
Certainly "distracting" - and, more importantly, contrary to SOPs I would have thought.

JD
:)