PDA

View Full Version : Blue - Green - Yellow

ChristiaanJ
5th Feb 2011, 17:01
Just lifted this from the ATSB report on the A380 uncontained engine failure.
The GREEN hydraulic system is one of two primary hydraulic systems on the A380. Hydraulic power is supplied by engine-driven pumps on Nos 1 and 2 engines.
The YELLOW hydraulic system is the second of two primary hydraulic systems on the A380. Hydraulic power is supplied by engine-driven pumps on Nos 3 and 4 engines.
As a Concorde ancient, to me the primary hydraulic (and flight control) systems are called BLUE and GREEN, and YELLOW is the 'fall-back'.

When did this 'convention' change ?

"Confused"

Idle Thrust
5th Feb 2011, 20:07
It has been almost ten years since my Airbus time but I recall that on the A-320 series as well as the A-330 & A-340 the Green was the heavyweight and the Blue & Yellow were pretty much equals, splitting various services. One could start quite a discussion about which of those two was the more important but in the end they were about equally loaded but definitely came after the Green one.

hetfield
5th Feb 2011, 20:20
On A300 it's

- Green
- Yellow
- Blue

fantom
5th Feb 2011, 20:27
Who cares what they are named?

They are colours in the magnificent Airbuses and A and B in my old 727. PC1; PC2 and Utility in my F4, if I recall correctly.

Feather #3
5th Feb 2011, 22:41
Who ever called Concorde conventional?

G'day ;)

Fargoo
6th Feb 2011, 08:53
Green and Yellow are L and R on the A320 layout.

Green and Yellow are L and R on the A380 layout. No blue system fitted.

A320 has been around for well over 20 years now so I guess that answers the original question.

Oriana
6th Feb 2011, 09:06
Did the colour system start on the Caravelle??

Airbus_a321
6th Feb 2011, 11:07
...it was already on the CARAVELLE....don't know before this ship

anybody knows, seriously please, why its green yellow blue and not e.g. red black white for example :8

DERG
6th Feb 2011, 11:21
Same reason that electrical wire are coloured. Instead of labels you have colours.

You can also make the fluids coloured with dyes so if there is a leak you can tell which system is leaking.

Also because all systems are not the same in other words to stop service people connecting the wrong tubes together.. Yup really is that simple.

If I am not mistaken I think A388 only has two systems, not sure though.

Wodrick
6th Feb 2011, 12:59

'twas on the Comet green,blue,yellow and red.

One was in deep do do if all you had was red !

tristar 500
6th Feb 2011, 15:27
When a colleague of mine was told after he had stuffed a Comet through the Hangar doors at Heathrow "why didn`t you have the Red pump on??!!!

It was a standing joke at the Best Ever Airline which he never lived down!!!

tristar 500

(Sorry for thread drift)

barit1
6th Feb 2011, 15:52
If it were the electronic component color code, the game would be:

0 Black
1 Brown
2 Red
3 Orange
4 Yellow
5 Green
6 Blue
7 Violet
8 Grey
9 White

(Electron-heads know the mnemonic for this...)

Machinbird
6th Feb 2011, 17:57
Fargoo
Green and Yellow are L and R on the A320 layout.

What about the Blue system that seems to be the emergency bring back system?
http://pmgasser.ch/airbus_memos/downloads/A320_HYD.pdf
No engine driven pump, but if you lost Green and Yellow, you would definitely want it.

T.R Haychemu
7th Feb 2011, 05:45
0 Black
1 Brown
2 Red
3 Orange
4 Yellow
5 Green
6 Blue
7 Violet
8 Grey
9 White

(Electron-heads know the mnemonic for this...)

Yeah....It'd get us all banned if we posted it up mind :{

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Feb 2011, 14:52
'twas on the Comet green,blue,yellow and red.

One was in deep do do if all you had was red !

Didn't the Carvelle use Comet systems (and nose)? We have a Nimrod MR2 at Manchester and that has green,blue,yellow and red systems, being basically a Comet 4!

I understand Concorde was to have these 4 systems as well, but the Red system was deleted early on.

CancelIFR
7th Feb 2011, 15:11
How do they change the colour of so much skydrol? :E:E
food colouring? System A and system B seems much more conventional.

ChristiaanJ
7th Feb 2011, 15:50
Didn't the Caravelle use Comet systems (and nose)?You're right about the nose....
Sud bought a Comet nose for the prototype, and manufactured the others under licence.
I wouldn't know about the systems... they weren't that far behind!

How do they change the colour of so much skydrol?LOL.... blue, green and yellow were just the designations and colour codes for the systems.... as on the hydraulic selection panel top left on this photo of the overhead panels (courtesy of CONCORDE SST - The Definitive Concorde Aircraft Site on the Internet (http://www.concordesst.com)).

http://www.concordesst.com/inside/cockpittour/graphics/overhead.jpg

The hydraulic liquid itself wasn't coloured (what for?).

And BTW, Concorde didn't use skydrol, but a special heat-resistant hydraulic fluid, known either as "Oronite" or "M2V".

CJ

Wodrick
7th Feb 2011, 15:50
I get on dangerous ground here as it's 38 years ago and I never had a formal course, at that time one was purely a radio engineer and with the comet in full time employment doing just that, however IIRC, red on the comet was just brakes and u/c uplocks. I think, if you had the remainder of your life, flaps. there might have been some flying controls as well as I don't recall much manual reversion.
I don't know if the nose on the caravelle is an urban myth or not but from brief encounters there were many similarities, Avons, 120vdc starters, coloured hydraulic systems etc.

ChristiaanJ
7th Feb 2011, 16:12
I don't know if the nose on the Caravelle is an urban myth or notNo, it's true.
Where I'm not sure, is whether Sud then has bought other nose assemblies from DH or manufactured them all themselves under licence.

but from brief encounters there were many similarities, Avons, 120vdc starters, coloured hydraulic systems etc.Thanks, that answers my question about systems....

CJ

grounded27
7th Feb 2011, 16:54
As for the "colours" yellow mixed with blue = green. Just a bit of logic that airbus has used since the classic a-300. Green had pumps on both engines yellow and blue were independantly driven and had PTU drove off the green system. All primary flight controlls were powered by all 3 systems then secondaries, gear, brakes and steering divied up what was left.