PDA

View Full Version : Jepp Charts on Your IPad

QSK?
1st Feb 2011, 00:07
Go to:
IFR VFR iPad Aviation App | Electronic Digital iPad Flight Charts | Jeppesen (http://www.jeppesen.com:80/main/corporate/microsites/jeppesen-mobile-tc/)
PS: I don't work for Apple or Jeppesen

das Uber Soldat
1st Feb 2011, 00:21
Its ok, but the charts aren't centred at the moment which is annoying. Also they don't scale correctly to the ipad so you cant really see the whole plate at once.

Its getting better though. I emailed them about putting in brightness control and they did it (im sure I wasn't the only one of course). So it'll probably improve with time.

The Green Goblin
1st Feb 2011, 00:49
Yawn :rolleyes:

Been there, done that, bought the T Shirt.....next!

compressor stall
1st Feb 2011, 01:40
Been mentioned many times before on here, but the REAL question is what will CASA allow? Can you have this instead of a hard copy?

I can't wait - nothing worse than updating a Pacific Basin series of Jepps, especially runway works at Tokyo :mad:

startingout
1st Feb 2011, 02:29
stallie, I was once handed a few containers containing the folders for one set of pac basin, no updates had been done in 12 months except for the airports that people had been flying to. Little bit of a moment in Kalgoolie saw the aeroclub bins pick up the whole lot. Jeppview arrived, and then anything that is needed is printed and the iPad can also view it all.

steelcraft
1st Feb 2011, 07:56
I spoke to Jepps the other day I was advised that the Ipad is not certified above 10000 feet but thereare other products out there that are certified for use at flight levels.

tmpffisch
1st Feb 2011, 09:39
So are you saying it is certified below 10,000?

Jack Ranga
1st Feb 2011, 09:49
At least you'll get your amendments on time......................or are they just as rooted as the paper copy?

And it wont take you 5 hours to do the amendments...................or does it take that long to download?

compressor stall
1st Feb 2011, 10:05
It syncs to your Jeppview subscription and, yes that can take a couple of hours to download.

not certified above 10000 feet

Um, FAR 25.841 pressurised aircraft need to have a cabin alt of <8000' to be certified. :confused: I presume you're not using it outside?

It might be more relevant to the US market though with unpressurised flight as US pilots don't get hypoxic at 10,100 feet like we do and regularly fly over 10K unpressurised. :hmm:

sleeve of wizard
1st Feb 2011, 10:06
Cabin altitude is not above 10,000' so the ipad will work fine in any pressurized a/c. Before anybody says what about the decompression case, you will not be looking for approach plates during your emergency descent, once below 10,000' and off oxygen you will then have time to get out your ipad and brief your arrival.:8

Peter Fanelli
1st Feb 2011, 11:06
How many approaches are there in the world that are flown above 10,000'?

kalavo
1st Feb 2011, 11:22
CAR 233 requires carriage of maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in the AIP or by a person approved in writing.

While Jeppesen are approved as a provider, you will probably find the iPad has yet to be approved in Australia. There is a requirement that these devices where not permanently mounted in the aircraft (and hence subject to the normal certification process) be demonstrated to CASA to reliably meet the intended electronic flight bag functions.

kalavo
1st Feb 2011, 20:55
The CAR doesn't specify paper-based charts, however the airworthiness bulletin adds additional restrictions to electronic-based charts.

Old Akro
4th Feb 2011, 02:05
This has been done to death on EFB threads. The 10,000 ft thing is because traditional hard drives are not reliable above 10,000ft. They rely on the airpressure from the spinning platter to keep the head from touching the spinning platter. Above 10,000ft DENSITY ALT, this is uncertain. One touch of the head to the platter and the hard drive (and therefore the device) is dead.

The best thing is a Windows 7 based tablet PC with a solid state drive (SSD) running Jeppview. It will give you moving maps too. But the ipad is a bloody good chart reader.

Icarus2001
4th Feb 2011, 03:23
once below 10,000' and off oxygen you will then have time to get out your ipad and brief your arrival.

IF it is still working that is.

I have seen them used and like them, very much but I will be keeping paper copies in my bag anticipating the failure of the battery, screen or drive.

napiersabre
4th Feb 2011, 04:50
I'm with Old Akro. I run Jeeppesen FliteDeck on a 10.1" Win7 tablet with a solid state drive. The geo referenced plates and enroute mapping are really nice for reassurance. I have Command Flight Planner, Ozi Explorer on it and use the inbuilt 3g for Wx.

All up the tablet + the inverter power supply has cost me about $450.

Now I know there are a lot of Apple fans here but in my experience this is way more functional at a much cheaper price.

To anyone looking to buy an Ipad for this purpose. I would suggest that you do your homework on the capabilities of other products before you go contributing to the Apple marketing department.

startingout
4th Feb 2011, 07:40
a key point to remember if anyone goes the iPad route, you do NOT have any enroute charts, so you need to carry some form of paper version.

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Feb 2011, 08:00
a key point to remember if anyone goes the iPad route, you do NOT have any enroute charts, so you need to carry some form of paper version.

I don't think that is so!

Dr :8

Chimbu chuckles
4th Feb 2011, 08:13
I have WAC/VTC/VNC on my Ipad (with overlaid IFR enroute waypoints/CTR boundaries/navaids etc etc at the push of a button) - all zoomable and searchable and utterly awesome...and geo-referenced via the internal GPS or an external 36 channel bluetooth GPS...can draw magenta lines/flight plan with gay abandon and it calculates tracks/distances/ETAs etc etc:ok:

I have Ozrunways (DAPS E & W/AIP/ERSA - updated quarterly) and await their charting function with baited breath.

All backed up on my iphone.

All licensed data from AsA.

The Ipad has a SSD and is as immune to altitude worries as anything out there....plus a utterly stable underlying system that leaves windows for dead...and an 8 hr battery life.

Chances of both Ipad and Iphone dying at the same time?

For private ops WTF would I want a paper backup?

My 32gb Ipad 3G wifi is an awesome EFB. An entire navbag condensed into one IPAD...not to mention all the manuals for company 777, C195 (so far - Bonanza to come) in Goodreader - plus all the 'running around' computing power I can ever want via Telstra 3G - Skype via bluetooth headset connectivity blah blah blah.

Chance of me ever again flying a lighty with a navbag full of paper?

Remote.

Icarus2001
4th Feb 2011, 09:56
For private ops WTF would I want a paper backup?

Well you wouldn't. This however is Pprune P=Professional My comment about paper back up is for the benefit of the two hundred or so passengers paying me to get them there safely with or without on iPad.

For private ops, go for it. I like your iPhone back up but I will stick with paper for now as plan B until I prove the iPad for myself.

training wheels
4th Feb 2011, 10:00
Interesting ... I was just reading about the use of iPads as an EFB on Flight Global today...

Fokker 50 operator tests iPad as electronic flight bag (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/02/01/352305/fokker-50-operator-tests-ipad-as-electronic-flight-bag.html)

.. looks like some will be using it for more than just PVT operations.

startingout
4th Feb 2011, 11:10
FTDK, sorry I was meaning just the Jepp Program, unless there is something I do not know it does not have full enroute charts. Other programs have them for Australia as mentioned but not great coverage for any international work that I do. It may be a limited market requiring the international data, but in the end I am more then happy to carry around the pac basin paper charts as well as jepp view. The weight & space is not much of an issue

Capt Fathom
4th Feb 2011, 11:59
I have WAC/VTC/VNC on my Ipad (with overlaid IFR enroute waypoints/CTR boundaries/navaids etc etc at the push of a button)

Where the hell do you get all that Chuck ?

ILblog
25th Feb 2011, 20:37
Hi

Has anyone confirmed, that Jeppesen VFR airport charts (so called Bottlang airfield manual) work in JeppView mobile on iPad too?

belly tank
25th Feb 2011, 21:55
I rang Jepp during the week and for the Ipad its as follows

$250.00 for the initial 12 month subscription including setup disk and $240 for subsequent 12 month amendment services

then Buy IPad and download Jepp Mobile TC from itunes free

They still send the ERC out as a paper amendment:ok:
Digital IFR / VFR Charts for Your iPad - Jeppesen Mobile TC | JeppDirect Aviation Store (http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ifr_jepptc.jsp)

kimwestt
25th Feb 2011, 23:01
How right you are --
Operating a Garmin 1000 equipped machine, and inbound to YBCG and told tohold a a point south, Garmin stuff only, and no paper stuff, and no en-route maps, bit embarrassing really, but centre helped out, holding point, inbound track, direction, and timing.
Phew!!
Moral of the story - have your paper stuff close handy.:ok:

startingout
26th Feb 2011, 05:19
It's happened to me before and I have had paper charts... anyone familiar with Kendi will know that everyone pronounces it Candy... try finding that first time around :E

KopitePilot
16th Mar 2011, 21:46
Ok, I know this has been done to death a few times, but I'm still a little confused on the JeppView matter. (Im easily confused at the moment due to recent family addition so I have an excuse!)

Got my Jepp renewall due next couple of weeks, and I'm really over doing the amendments, so am thinking about the JeppView software. For my renewall is it enough to have JeppView software on my latop and then print out hard copies of the plates I'll need, or does the JeppView need to be on hand in the aircraft on a EFB/Tablet?

Also, does JeppView give you just the charts, or does it include the AIP section as well?

Thanks

KP

Capt Claret
16th Mar 2011, 22:02
KP,

Jeppview allows you to print the approach plates you want, to carry in the aeroplane with you. The subscription still includes mailed enroute & terminal charts.

The text pages can be printed BUT there's no way to tell which text pages have changed from one revision to the next, this means one has to check the effective date of each page of the AIP section & print as required. Further, one can only print one text page at a time, not a range of pages. This makes the AIP section too cumbersome to use as a source of hard copy.

Another consideration to be aware of is the Jeppview licence requires the user to be the owner of the aeroplane in which any printed charts are used.

That said, I manage all this by having Jeppview & Oz Runways on my iPad, as well as hard copies of only those approach charts I expect to use. Any charts needed that were not expected I access on the iPad, figuring that the chances of an iPad crash AND the need of an unexpected chart at the same time is too remote, sort of like wanting a spare wing incase one falls off.

I was speaking with Jeppview Tech Support in the US earlier this week and was told that the iPad version of the text pages will be available by March or April this year, and in the second half of this year, moving map display using the iPad's GPS will be available. :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Mar 2011, 01:13
Jeppview allows you to print the approach plates you want, to carry in the aeroplane with you. The subscription still includes mailed enroute & terminal charts. Not according to Jeppessen Australia!

For what it is worth, I have moved away from carrying the full set of paper charts, so I:

1) Have JeppView/FliteDeck on a tablet computer (Motion Computing LS800) on the yolk. This does include the full AIP, though not necessarily in an easily accessible way for all components - eg the text stuff, enroute and terminal charts. The tablet is connected to a power source but has a 4 hr life on battery anyway. I will shortly replace this tablet with the new MC CL900 which is being released to compete with the iPad (but will undoubtedly be superior!)

2) I carry a second MC LS800 with a 2hr battery and JeppView/FliteDeck in my nav bag.

3) I print out the Approach Plates etc that I expect to require for a particular flight and stick them under my flightplan on the clipboard - just in case.

4) I subscribe to paper Jepp enroute and terminal charts only ($120 pa) cause they are not much to carry around and amendments are chuck away the old ones and keep the new ones. They are easy to use and handy to have if ATC spring something on you - and they take up very little room in the flightbag.

5) I have OzRunways on my iPhone - gives me AIP and DAPS if I really need them.

All the above dependent on the fact that I fly aeroplanes with G430W and above as minimum equipment.

Dr :8

ILblog
17th Mar 2011, 07:45
I have WAC/VTC/VNC on my Ipad (with overlaid IFR enroute waypoints/CTR boundaries/navaids etc etc at the push of a button) - all zoomable and searchable and utterly awesome...and geo-referenced via the internal GPS or an external 36 channel bluetooth GPS...can draw magenta lines/flight plan with gay abandon and it calculates tracks/distances/ETAs etc

What is the name of this app? I think this is app for USA because I do not know such an app for EU

BronteExperimental
18th Mar 2011, 02:55
Air Navigation Pro

Have been running it since Xmas with Airservices maps. Pretty happy with it.
Usual issues with iPad though. Direct sunlight and overheating get annoying at times. But very handy for weather / ersa etc as well as has been mentioned.

One question though, if i get ramped and asked for maps and ersa, is it going to cut it? not sure if ive theres a definitive answer to that.

Cheers BE

Capt Claret
18th Mar 2011, 04:24
G'day Forkie, could you elaborate a little on Not according to Jeppesen Australia!

I swapped from paper to Jeppview last year and receive enroute charts, terminal charts, and the enroute section via snail mail, still.

Jabawocky
18th Mar 2011, 04:52
FL510 to Zip and it lived! :D

· Jeppesen commissioned a successful rapid decompression test on iPad to 51,000 feet in altitude

FAA approval of iPad EFB for Executive Jet paves way for industry|Jet Times – Jet Aviation News (http://www.jettimes.com/faa-approval-of-ipad-efb-for-executive-jet-paves-way-for-industry/)

Now I have it on great authority Forkie and Chuckles will be VFRing (sssh don't tell anyone) a C195 from Point A to Point E in a few weeks......... I wonder if this will be a suitable EFB test? Or just a Mines Bigger than Yours :E

Chimbu chuckles
18th Mar 2011, 06:35
Gee thanks now we is guaranteed to get ramped:ooh:

AerodyManic
20th Jun 2011, 15:52
I noticed earlier that someone mentioned an udate coming in march/April to the iPad jepp app. So far no sign of it!!! As much as I understand the need for proper testing I really wish Jepps would give us some add ons. I really love the package. But given the iPads potential this program really could be so much more. Being able to view the aip and ersa section, in addition to ercs and tacs, not to mention a gps add on would really make this app shaweweeet!!!!
Anyone got any updated info on the next version release??....if there is one??

AD

RatherBeFlying07
19th Oct 2011, 02:33
Putting aside the debate about whether or not they are approved, and assuming we continue to carry our paper charts still...

What's the verdict on which app to go for? From iTunes it's difficult to tell the difference.

Do they both incorporate the entire text manual (atc, terminal, etc.)?
Does either have a moving map display yet?

tmpffisch
19th Oct 2011, 02:51
Both include the text manual.

FD has moving map, TC just has the charts.

havick
19th Oct 2011, 05:35
the FD app does ahve the text manual. It is virtually impossible to navigate though. basially everything is one gian pdf document. There's no bookmarks or index allowing you to quickly navigate the text section. That really needs looking at by jeppesen however I was informed by them directly that it's not really on the cards to change the manual text format.

tmpffisch
19th Oct 2011, 09:52
There's no bookmarks or index allowing you to quickly navigate the text section.

I dunno what world you're living in! The text manual is the most comprehensively indexed PDF I've ever seen!

What ever you're doing, you're doing it wrong....

das Uber Soldat
19th Oct 2011, 10:07
So the gps update has been out a while. I like the moving map functionality. The geo referenced airport charts are a godsend when going into larger ports like MML.

They still need to fix a few things. Having a little box for every class of airspace is stupid. Just show me the lowest level of control area (maybe class e seperately). Barreling into a terminal area can get mighty confusing when you are trying to read 4 different boxes with cta levels in them.

No gps derived data, speeds/stimates etc. no way to store plans.

Long way to go.

strim
19th Oct 2011, 10:42
Does anyone know of any intention by any company to produce similar software for Android??

Can't stand Apple.

MakeItHappenCaptain
19th Oct 2011, 14:11
Professional Operators,

Be aware that regardless of the legality (perceived or otherwise) of electronic charts (NOT an EFB as they are not linked to an FMS or similar apparently and that's a whole different set of rules) your company's ops manual may require the carriage of paper charts and that will take precedence.:ok:

Capt Claret
19th Oct 2011, 15:35
The Ops Manual that I operate to, says,

Pilots are required to provide and maintain personal copies of the Jeppesen Airways Manual.

No mention of paper. :E

WheyPCRocks
19th Oct 2011, 20:38
Does anyone know of any intention by any company to produce similar software for Android??

Can't stand Apple.

I'm in the same boat; want the charts but don't particularly want to get an iPad...I did read somewhere I believe, that the Jeppesen app will be available for Android platform from next year? They'd be stupid to overlook it if otherwise. However, the Apple platform still has the some of the good ones like Foreflight.

Dark Knight
19th Oct 2011, 22:54
`can draw magenta lines/flight plan with gay abandon'

Careful Chimbu, you will have the PC Police knocking on your door requesting a strip search of your iPad!

Capt Claret
20th Oct 2011, 00:14
I did read somewhere I believe, that the Jeppesen app will be available for Android platform from next year?

Don't hold your breath. Only because for a year, or so, Jeppesen was saying the digital airways manual was coming soon.

Defn

soon |so͞on|
adverb
1 in or after a short time: everyone will soon know the truth | he'll be home soon | they arrived soon after 7:30.

Perhaps they don't have access to a dictionary. :}

RatherBeFlying07
20th Oct 2011, 00:19
Hi,

How did you install the text manual?

I go to settings > updates > manuals > and the page says "select available manuals", but there aren't any to choose from.

Has anybody had and fixed a similar problem?

Capt Claret
20th Oct 2011, 02:54
How did you install the text manual?

Do you have a JeppView subscription?

Settings > Updates > Manuals > brings me to an option of selecting my desired combination of:
Jeppesen Airway Manual - General (06/10/2011)
Jeppesen Airway Manual - Middle East (06/10/2011)
Jeppesen Airway Manual - Pacific (06/10/2011)

RatherBeFlying07
20th Oct 2011, 10:44
Thanks for the feedback all!

Rebooted and tried again, and it is working now.

For anyone else, like others, I can recommend JeppFD. Not the greatest App on the iPad, and not the prettiest either, but it's very user friendly. Works well, and it sure beats the paper charts!! (that we all still carry, of course)

Capn Bloggs
20th Oct 2011, 12:33
The Ops Manual that I operate to, says,

Quote:
Pilots are required to provide and maintain personal copies of the Jeppesen Airways Manual
No mention of paper.
So Clarrie, there are two scenarios (this applies to CASA as well). Either management/CASA know that some pilots don't carry paper charts, using their ipads, but have not changed the rules deliberately or, well, you know the next bit! :}

Re Android, it's only a matter of time. I did read that the big trial by I think Continental? will include ipads, Xooms and other tablet thingees.

nomorecatering
20th Oct 2011, 18:34
Whats the difference between Jeppview and Jepp mobile flight deck. They look the same to me.

belly tank
15th Nov 2011, 23:19
Here's a link guys if anyone is interested, CASA doing a survey on Tablets and PC's use in aviation. may be worth a look it only takes a few minutes to complete.

QuestionPro Survey - CASA (http://casa2011.questionpro.com/)

Jabawocky
16th Nov 2011, 03:10
Yeah.....and now they want to send some consultant around to see me.

Should be interesting.

Maybe the OzRunways boys will be offering free subscriptions for life if I give them a good reason to ratify their product as being a legal full time replacement for paper.

you know...Cash for Comment :E

startingout
16th Nov 2011, 03:35
Just did my part and put the survey in :ok:

AerocatS2A
16th Nov 2011, 10:21
Do any of you chaps using JeppFD know how to specify a VOR waypoint in a route instead of the NDBs it seems to default to? E.g., when inputing a route as AD TBD Y12 ARBEY ML it won't accept the route code Y12 because it is inserting TBD NDB instead of TBD VOR and it is the VOR, not the NDB which is part of route Y12.

belly tank
16th Nov 2011, 21:57
Aerocat,

Ive just tried to replicate your route on my JeppFD with the same result, it wont link up the route. short of entering every single waypoint enroute the airway im not sure of a solution either. but yes i did have the same issue on my version as well.:ugh:

AerocatS2A
16th Nov 2011, 23:30
If you put the route in using the waypoints and zoom right in you can see that it's going via TBD NDB instead of the VOR (there is some distance between them) and the NDB is not part of the airway. You can get around it by putting the next waypoint in and then the airway, AD TBD HINDY Y12 ARBEY ML, but it should have the ability to select from the VOR or NDB for any navaid like that. Another route that doesn't work is ML DOSEL Y59 SY. It won't accept DOSEL as the start of Y59. That must be a database issue though as DOSEL is not ambiguous. They've got a way to go with it. Being able to save routes seems like a no-brainer.

Capt Claret
16th Nov 2011, 23:41
I've had some email correspondence with Jeppesen WRT the route issues, and NDBs being used instead of VORs. Their last response to me on the issue, was:

(my bolding)

30 August 2011

Good afternoon Capt Claret,

Your service request has been escalated to my attention. I understand that you’ve been having some problems with various routes not being accepted in the Mobile FliteDeck application. It appears that most of the routes in your example include a VOR entry/exit point that shares the same ID as a nearby NDB (e.g. GV, CS, AS, AYE). This is causing the problem, because the application will sometimes default to the NDB if it is nearer to the direct route. However, since the NDB is not the entry/exit point to the airway, the route fails. This is a known issue that our Development group is aware of and are working to address in a future update to the application. I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Best Regards,

Xxxxx Yyyyy
Tier 2 Technical Support Specialist - Nav
Technical Support Services

AerocatS2A
17th Nov 2011, 00:04
Thanks Claret, I did the online chat thing with a customer service dude last night and they were unaware of the problem. I guess I'll get a similar email to yours soon.

Cravenmorehead
17th Nov 2011, 22:23
Mr G - and aeroscat, you boys are real pioneers. Last month I was going to changed my Jepp subscription to the online digital subscription- whatever you call it- to save time and paper, but chickened out at the last minute. Mainly because I am useless at technical stuff. I would have undoubtably had similar problems as the ones that you encounter and would have got pissed of and chucked my $1000 I- pad out the window.
Thanks for being so persistent and posting your results on this site. Makes a refreshing change from hearing about Qantas woes, and Gen Y bitches. Although the later appear to be good at the computer stuff.

bananna
17th Nov 2011, 23:00
Is it fairly easy to print off back up paper charts from your iPad with Jepp Mobile FD? Or is it bigger then Ben Hur?

Jabawocky
17th Nov 2011, 23:40
Printing from an ipad requires a certain group of printers. What I do is use JeppView on my PC/laptop, print everything from there. Use iPad in flight.

Now to make this more complex, in flight I really use OzRunways, even though it is not Jepp. But I prefer the jepp plates, so I use a combination of both.

Jepps with the legal coverage, and OzRunways coz its nice to use in flight with all its maps etc.:ok:

Which reminds me....anyone want a up to date set of Jepps?

bananna
18th Nov 2011, 01:12
Printing from an ipad requires a certain group of printers.Do you mean they will only print on particular brands of printer??

Which reminds me....anyone want a up to date set of Jepps? SecondHandPilot.com.au View forum - Documents (http://secondhandpilot.com.au/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=d9a33d32097df498dc09fb405f6199bb)

LeadSled
18th Nov 2011, 12:33
Banana,
Only specific models of printer from several manufacturers, see thine Apple web site.
Tootle pip!!

bananna
18th Nov 2011, 22:40
Here is the link for printers for those who are interested.

iOS: AirPrint 101 (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356?locale=en_AU&viewlocale=en_AU)