PDA

View Full Version : TRTO OR NOT TRTO

whats the vector victor
9th Mar 2002, 23:58
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do the written part of a type rating without attending a TRTO course? Could I buy the manufacturers notes and sit the exam independantly and how long is the written part valid for without doing the flying.. .. .Thanks W T V V

rolling circle
10th Mar 2002, 00:27
Where would you sit the exam if not at a TRTO? What TRTO would let you sit their exam without doing their course? (even if it was permitted - which it isn't).

whats the vector victor
10th Mar 2002, 01:41
RC. .. .I was thinking of pre JAR days and I am sure I remember someone buying the notes for an SD360 from Shorts,self studying and doing the exam with the CAA.Did it used to be called an ARB exam?. .. .I also did not realise that TRTO's set their own examination and I presumed it would be a CAA approved paper.. .. .Thanks for your post.. .. .W T V V

rolling circle
10th Mar 2002, 15:07
It did used to be called an ARB paper and you could take it without paying for an approved course but, since we've been forced into the ludicrous JAR fiasco, papers are now written and administered by the TRTOs. The CAA still approves the papers as part of the overall approval of the TRTO.. .. .To answer the second part of your question, CAP 682 says that the TRTO course is designed to be completed full time. If there is a break of 6 months or more, the whole thing must be started again. By that token, I suppose, the validity of the exam is six months

IRRenewal
10th Mar 2002, 15:09
It is still a CAA approved exam, but set and administered by the TRTO. Same happens when you do a MEP class rating nowadays with an FTO.. .. .You are right that it used to be possible, just like you could just go and do the ATPL written exams without attending any ground school.. .. .Times have changed...... .. .Regards

whats the vector victor
11th Mar 2002, 00:47
Thank you very much for the information and Just as I suspected JAR doing its part to kill off the self improver.. .. .Many Thanks, W T V V.