PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic Advisory

pwned
28th Jan 2011, 22:00
Looking at the latest Volcanic Advisory from VAAC

Volcanic Ash Graphics 5 (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD65290.shtml)

The aviation code is RED and under the FAQ,

Red Alert:
Eruption is underway with significant emission of ash into the atmosphere.

Wadd (BALI) and Warr (Juanda) is affected.

Base on this info given to operators, how do you decide if its safe or not safe to fly to those airports?

I'm sorry if it sounds noob but I'm just trying to find out more how airlines use this info.

Last i checked, some airlines are still flying into Wadd and Warr and its obvious with that advisory those airports are affected. Affected to what extend? I don't know ...but its Code RED .

I'm here to learn :). Thank you.

DERG
31st Jan 2011, 12:22
As a general rule if the "big boys" keep clear then that tells you something. Look at the operators who are there and make a judgement, some of them have no option but to continue flying.

pwned
31st Jan 2011, 14:43
thanks but how/what do the "big boys" based their decision on?

to me, if the airspace is affected and its a code red, its abit risky to go. I mean code red is the highest alert level. isnt it?

but i've seen operators still operating into those airspace under this alert level...so i'm thinking maybe there's something that they know and im trying to, hopefully, learn a few things here.

thanks.

lomapaseo
31st Jan 2011, 16:15
to me, if the airspace is affected and its a code red, its abit risky to go. I mean code red is the highest alert level. isnt it?

but i've seen operators still operating into those airspace under this alert level...so i'm thinking maybe there's something that they know and im trying to, hopefully, learn a few things here.

thanks.

Think of it as a jelly fish floating in a 3D airspace. If you know where it is and is going to be when you are in the air than you can always route arround or over it. Knowledge in dispatch allows you to fly safe.

Fortunately the volcanos in Japan rarely put out large amounts of ash to shut down all airspace within a large radius of the erruption.

pwned
31st Jan 2011, 22:17
Think of it as a jelly fish floating in a 3D airspace. If you know where it is and is going to be when you are in the air than you can always route arround or over it. Knowledge in dispatch allows you to fly safe.

Hmm ok. But in this case ( the graphics has changed now cos its updated ), the "jelly fish" was covering their destination airport. Right on top from ground level to 150 i think and it was a red alert level ( from the VAAC graphics).

I thought that was a pretty straight forward no go situation.:confused:
Again, this thread is NOT meant to criticise the guys that flew into the said airport. Its for my own learning benefit thats all.:O
thanks.