PDA

View Full Version : LOFT

Bird380
23rd Jan 2011, 17:10
Hello guys is there any one who could help me to find LOFT scenarios. I need it for my company or any web site where i can find it.
Thanks

411A
23rd Jan 2011, 18:30
Most are varied by the company, in relation to recent incidents, where it is felt by the training department, where additional training is possibly desired.
As I AM the training department at our small ad-hoc charter airline, I do the same, however....I personally completely brief the scenario prior to the sim detail.
Why?
In this way, I feel that the crews under check experience true-to-life situations, with the airplane.
IE: not some nefarious circumstance situation that was dreamed-up by a 'malcontent'.....in some other airline.

PS.
Far too many malcontents in training, today.:eek:

beachbumflyer
23rd Jan 2011, 18:42
Today, and always.

bfisk
23rd Jan 2011, 18:48
How about this: a relatively short flight (20 minutes-ish) from a limiting airfield to a large airport. On gear retraction, one you get a gear unsafe condition. When trying to extend the gear again, still unsafe, one main gear won't come down. Wx moderate (say 3000m vis and cieling around 1000' or so). Diversion airfield around 40 minutes beyond destination, this is company base with heavy maintenance, but wx is marginal (say 1500m and 400' perhaps). Marginal amount of extra fuel, say 15 min.

So:
-Deal with normal procedures (ie not engine failure on takeoff...)
-Deal with the unsafe gear in due time (unsolvable - stays unsafe).
-What does the crew do? Continue to destination or go directly to base (which is also the alternate?)
-When trying to extend the gear again, do they do it early in anticipation of problems, or at a normal time, setting the stage for a go-around?
-Is a flyby visual inspection considered?
-Will it start to become fuel critical, supposed they went to the base?
-If they went to the planned destination, will they consider burning off fuel before landing?

I'd say the deal about making a good LOFT scenario is to not overdo it in any end: nothing should be unrealistically difficult. Often, what makes the LOFT challenging is the very fact that you have many options. If it's all written in stone (everywhere else is 0-0 and the only approach you have is the NDB, the radar just magically went out and the wx is right at minimums), you are not testing decision-making skills, because when there are no options, the decision is already given. The more elements you can put into it to consider, the better. That's my personal opinion, anyway, as a non-trainer, but rather one on the recieving end.

aviatorhi
24th Jan 2011, 20:33
I'd suggest a 2 segment trip, medium length segment (say 1.5-2 hours) runway change on taxi out with takeoff in rainy conditions (see if they apply an optional V1 computation to give a margin of performance). If you want some "entertainment" have the departure be out of an airport that is over flat terrain near sea level and on climbout they get an incorrect TAWS warning climbing through 5000' or so. Then uneventful until level off at initial cruise altitude give it a few minutes before they start getting rocked by moderate turbulence, inevitably they'll query for what is smooth, and say every altitude above FL280 is reporting moderate turbulence, see what they do. On approach to first destination a storm moves over the field (part of a front), see if they account for this in their approach (wx ok though, 4 miles vis or so and 1000 ft ceiling.

2nd segment is departure from this same airport on a short segment (30 mins), see if they work ahead here and get themselves set up to go directly from departure to approach without having to shuffle through all their stuff wasting valuable time. With an uneventful cruise portion, on initial descent encounter of oncoming traffic not reported by ATC (see if they even bother to tell the controller about it). On approach there is traffic ahead which flies their approach slower than usual (again, see if they can adjust on the go), then the aircraft ahead experiences a gear failure on the only runway at the airport. Since wx was CAVU at the field your reserves are minimal and nearby airports with runways that have a "more than sufficient" length have low wx (300-400 OVC 1/2 mile), airports with runways at the limit for the landing performance manual are much better (1500 SCT 6+ miles), see how they deal with that.

gatbusdriver
25th Jan 2011, 06:18
We now have LOE (Line Orientated Evaluation) every year for our Summer sim. So we no longer have an OPC, just an LPC evey year. The LOE is based on OFDM collected for that year, and any training issues picked up in the sim or on line flights. It is no longer based on one or two major failures (i.e. double hydraulics), but a series of small failures/gotchas.

For example, a typical LOE may be on the lines of a one hour sector, starting at the gate. LMC with up coming slot. Possible change of runway on taxi out. Pack out prior to departure..........and so on throughout the day out.

The LOE generally will have one occurrence during each phase of flight.

It is very realistic, in as much as it feels like a normal line flight, just with a few failures etc.

The really good thing is that day 2 in the sim is used solely for training, which we could all do with!

Bird380
26th Jan 2011, 15:48
Thank you all, Your Info is great help to understand how to do, but I was hoping to see few examples in detail. Thanks all

411A
26th Jan 2011, 16:55
...but I was hoping to see few examples in detail.
Ok, here's one that has happened to to me, personally, in regular line flying.

Max weight takeoff, with full fuel (95 tons).
All landing gear retract, except...the right hand main gear.
Refer to the QRH.
Nothing found.
However, there is an alternate procedure that is in the AFM, but many are not aware (I wasn't either until pointed out by a Lockheed former production test pilot).
Apply the procedure, landing gear retracts normally...insted of dumping many tons of fuel, that were uplifted for our planned 11 hour overwater flight.

Or...

Aircraft approaches the destination, however, flaps/slats fail to extend.
Runway is less than 8000 feet (with the airplane at MLW, due fuel tankering), so a diversion is necessary to keep from running off the end.
Then, on reaching the alternate airport (with a longer runway) the landing gear fails to extend...normally.
Followed by...the normal alternate gear extension doesn't work, so back to the QRH for the alternate/alternate procedure.
Airplane lands successfully.

Result... crew have learned a few things that normally don't appear very often, but could have the potential to ruin your whole day.

Bird380
27th Jan 2011, 00:20
411A thanx buddy they are good one
regards

DC-ATE
27th Jan 2011, 00:39
My favorite LOFT was in the DC-8 sim when I was a Co-Pilot. Just after rotation and lift-off the Captain had a "heart attack" or something and slumped forward. I told the Engineer to grab him and hold him back away from the control column. I requested immediate return to the field but naturally it was "socked in" - Zero-Zero and I had to find another place to go. We had taken off from LAX. "ATC" told me the only airport with minimums was SFO, so I told them I was headed that way. They gave me some long-winded clearance to which I answered, "No way, I'm headed DIRECT to the SFO 28L Outer Marker and I'll be flying at 26000 feet." They accepted and away I went. Rest of flight uneventful. Oh, I called the Stew and asked her to find out if there was a Doctor on board and all that stuff. Landed SFO and that part of the LOFT was over. I passed !

There's almost unlimited scenerios one can come up with. It makes for very good training I think.

bigtop_748
20th Feb 2011, 13:20
one of our flight departed (a340)amesterdam headed to jfk..uneventful flight(expected weather at destination was ok at time of arrival) with sector fuel strong head wind...within an hour of arrival to jfk storm appeared(pilot report) covered most of east cost airports

jfk closed fuel quantity is approaching diversion quanitity...not many airports options that can take a340 were available..both pilots were familiar only with destination and some of our alternates but to vector you to an airport you have no clue what even the ILS FREQ.IS ?? thats scary this was done as he is running out of fuel ...landed safely but u can imagine the fuel he had at that time...any way pilot requested to hold at taxi way for 10 mins to get hold of his shaking knees....try that...good luck